2 core 1.5mm on lights.

no john i dont believe having an earthed conductor in the cable is wrong at all. it`s probably my fault for lack of clarity. having (example on a lighting circuit) earthed fittings on a SELV system would be wrong

Sponsored Links
no john i dont believe having an earthed conductor in the cable is wrong at all. it`s probably my fault for lack of clarity.
Yes ,I got the impression that we must have been 'talking at cross-purposes', but I don't think I could be criticised too much for interpreting your ...
just to add that with SELV no earth should be present
... in the way I did!
having (example on a lighting circuit) earthed fittings on a SELV system would be wrong
Sure, but that's rather different, since you are now talking about connecting 'earth' to a SELV fitting (which, apart from anything else, would achieve nothing - other than increasing the amount of 'earthed metal' around, hence theoretically increased risk of shocks!). Having earthed armour within the SELV cable which is not connected to anything else (in the SELV system) is obviously different and, as I have suggested, presumably 'OK'.

Having said that, I'm not sure that there would even actually be anything 'wrong' with earthing 'exposed-c-ps' of a fitting supplied by SELV. As above, it would achieve nothing positive but, provided it was not connected to either side of the SELV supply, I can't see why it should be an issue.

Kind Regards, John

Is it correct to even call the conductor/part in question "earth" as far as the SELV object is concerned?

Sponsored Links
Is it correct to even call the conductor/part in question "earth" as far as the SELV object is concerned?
As far as terminology is concerned, I would say that "earth" (which usually means the "installation's earthing system") is 'earth', regardless of anything else.

What I think you probably mean, with which I would agree, is that the concept of 'earth' is of no relevance to a supply/system (such as SELV) which is not earth-referenced. In the eyes of such a system, the fact that something (to which it is not connected) is 'at earth potential' is not really any more relevant than, say, if the something were at a potential of 1,000V above earth potential.

I suppose it's in some senses similar to the argument (as in many MIs) that touchable metal parts of a Class II item "must not be earthed". From the point-of-view of the item, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference as to whether those metal parts (separated from anything that matters by "double or reinforced insulation") is 'earthed' or not. The only downsides of earthing that metal is that it unnecessarily increases the amount of 'touchable earthed metal' in the building (hence theoretically increasing shock risk) - but that would be equally true if one were talking about 'earthing' metal door knobs or window frames.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back