2 double insulated light fittings on 1 switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read through the Wiki and I know it possible to have 2 lights operated by one switch, and I've checked the wiring and it's the same as this: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:parallel (minus the earth cables as the fittings are double insulated).

Would this cause any issues with double insulated fittings? The reason i ask is because one of the fittings keeps over heating (the second one from the switch). The plastic components inside have changed colour from a white to a dark yellow/brown cover, but it works fine without the diffuser fitted over the bulb (bulbs being used are 40w and the fittings state 40w maximum).

Obviously it's not safe so I not using it at the moment, but if I'm going to replace the fitting would the same happen to a replacement double insulated fitting?

Sponsored Links
What do you think the diffuser does ?

On a light it tends to be there to reflect both light and HEAT away from the fitting. Please take a picture showing us the issue so we can be clear what the heat damage is like.

1st light from switch (no problems with this one)
SNV33217.jpg

2nd light (plastic is broken because the heat stuck the cover on, removed to check wiring)
SNV33216.jpg

Sponsored Links
It is obviously because the plastic above the lamp is not up to the heat from the lamp.

I would return the item to the maker for a refund. This assumes you have followed the makers lamp wattage and type. Like you used a candle shaped lamp if that is what is specified.

Your problem is about to be solved as you will not be able to buy tungsten lamps any more :( . Low energy ones run much cooler:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back