2 faulty motorised valves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have an issue with rads getting hot when turning water on only.
I have 2x 2 port motorised valves and running some tests.
I've took the heads off both valves.
Rad motor seems to turn when i switch rads on
Water motor seems to make an off clicking noise from motor so i suspect this could be faulty.

I am hoping that the motor is the fault and not the valves that would turn this into a big job.
But with the heads off both valves, it seems when i manually turn the spindle on either valve, hot water seems to travel through. I'm only testing this by touch, so firing up the boiler appears to make both sides of the valves hot even when i turn the spindle. Although turning the spindle not clear which is the shut position.

Could it be just bad luck and i have 2 faulty valves plus at least 1 faulty head?

Furthermore, i don't seem to have a drain point in my central heating system. Any ideas how best to drain the system with no drain valve?
I have a closed pressurised system.

Many thanks!
Kevin

Sponsored Links
If hot water only is selected,and the radiators heat then it's likely that the heating zone valve is passing.Turn the electric supply off to your system,remove the actuator head from the heating zone valve. Turn electrics back on and select hot water only ,if radiators continue to heat replace the complete zone valve for central heating.

Hello,
I have an issue with rads getting hot when turning water on only.
I have 2x 2 port motorised valves and running some tests.
I've took the heads off both valves.
Rad motor seems to turn when i switch rads on
Water motor seems to make an off clicking noise from motor so i suspect this could be faulty.

I am hoping that the motor is the fault and not the valves that would turn this into a big job.
But with the heads off both valves, it seems when i manually turn the spindle on either valve, hot water seems to travel through. I'm only testing this by touch, so firing up the boiler appears to make both sides of the valves hot even when i turn the spindle. Although turning the spindle not clear which is the shut position.

Could it be just bad luck and i have 2 faulty valves plus at least 1 faulty head?

Furthermore, i don't seem to have a drain point in my central heating system. Any ideas how best to drain the system with no drain valve?
I have a closed pressurised system.

Many thanks!
Kevin
Is it a new problem, or have you just moved in, or had work done, or what?

Reactions: CBW
Could it be that the 3 tee rule has been broken and you’re getting some reverse circulation?

Sponsored Links
No work done, been in about a year so suspect it was same as when moved in
Then it could be a piping problem, as CBW suggested. All the heating return pipes must be commoned before joining the cylinder return. Been discussed several times on this forum.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Then it could be a piping problem, as CBW suggested. All the heating return pipes must be commoned before joining the cylinder return. Been discussed several times on this forum.
Thanks. Is there an easy way to identify a piping problem?
If best to just search forum will do that. But thought I'd ask first for a pointer
Thanks

Start with the system cold, turn hot water on and feel the pipe on the outlet side of the heating valve to confirm it’s not letting by. Then if that’s ok, then it just becomes detective work, finding where the tee lies so it can be altered.

Thanks. Is there an easy way to identify a piping problem?
If best to just search forum will do that. But thought I'd ask first for a pointer
Thanks
If it's a typical house the upstairs rad returns will be joined and brought to near the boiler, similar for the downstairs, the two commoned, with the cylinder return coming in after. So if there's a pipe teed into the cylinder return before that, eg in the airing cupboard, there's a good chance it's piped wrong.
That's after checking for a passing valve à la CBW, of course.

If it's a typical house the upstairs rad returns will be joined and brought to near the boiler, similar for the downstairs, the two commoned, with the cylinder return coming in after. So if there's a pipe teed into the cylinder return before that, eg in the airing cupboard, there's a good chance it's piped wrong.
That's after checking for a passing valve à la CBW, of course.
Attaching here a picture of the valves near the cylinder. I can see at least 2 tees here, does that help?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20230410_114531.jpg
    20230410_114531.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 48
Attaching here a picture of the valves near the cylinder. I can see at least 2 tees here, does that help?
Thanks
Not easy to tell from the photo, but if to the bottom right, the tee into the cylinder return pipe is from the upstairs rads, it looks dodgy. Needs a bit of detective work!
Did the passing valve test come up with anything?

This may explain your problem if only occuring with DHW on.

Attachments

• 3 T Rule Schematic.jpg
    3 T Rule Schematic.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 39

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back