2 faulty motorised valves?

Any developments? Interested to know how it went.
Sorry for late response. Got sidetracked... Since i had the heads off the motorised valves, i wanted to use immersion heater standalone to get hot water for the house, but since it's rarely used at the plug, it wasn't working. Turned out i needed a new rod thermostat so got that fixed.
In meantime as i had the heads off the motorised valves, they were making strange noises. As they were relatively cheap to replace, i replaced the motor heads.
Anyway, after all that, i still have the original problem. :) Rads getting hot when water on.
Testing further as suggested above, with the system cold and only firing the boiler up for water, it seems the rad valve is passing that heat..
I can only assume i have a bad valve, this was the last resort test as i was hoping not to drain the system.
But would you agree it is a valve problem and that should be replaced at the rad valve? or even both since i have the system drained?
Also, with system drained should i put some inhibitor or cleaner in the system.
I assume this must fix my problem, i hope!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Testing further as suggested above, with the system cold and only firing the boiler up for water, it seems the rad valve is passing that heat..
In that case it sounds like a passing valve problem. Hopefully the pipework layout is correct, but still need to replace the rads valve. If both valves are many years old it could be worth changing both while you're at it.
Also, with system drained should i put some inhibitor or cleaner in the system.
Definitely! And if you haven't got a Magnaclean or similar worth adding one. Apart from its main job, it's very useful for sampling the water for a corrosion test, and topping up the inhibitor if required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back