2-gang 2-way switch for dunces

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I just changed a light switch today and have managed to get it working but not in the way I was expecting! The left switch which previously operated the downstairs hall light, now operates the upstairs and vice versa for the right-hand one.

I thought I'd be able to live with it, but having lived here for a few years and suddenly changing it is actually massively annoying! Which terminals do I swap in order to swap the switches? I have L1/L2 and COM all twice. Is it as simple as just swapping each of the wires to the other terminal of the same type? Eg swap L1 for L1, L2 for L2, etc

The earths are there (and I added a new earth cable as switch is metallic). I have an electrician coming in a few weeks to do something else so can check it, but this is annoying me now and I can't even put the old switch back on as it was broken!

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
Which terminals do I swap in order to swap the switches? I have L1/L2 and COM all twice. Is it as simple as just swapping each of the wires to the other terminal of the same type? Eg swap L1 for L1, L2 for L2, etc
Because there are three wires in each switch, I presume that they are both two-way systems where each light is also controlled by another switch.

If they are working correctly but just with the wrong switch then swap all three from one switch to the other or
if there are no markings on the switch, turn it upside down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back