2-gang, 2-way switch replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for another lighting switch query...

I want to replace some double light switches, hoping for some guidance as to what I'm looking at with the current setup.

There are two doubles at either end of the hall, and the hall light can be operated from either. To make it even more complicated (for me), an external light is also wired into one of them, in a way that has always required some trial-and-error switching at either end of the hall to turn it on. Probably a silly setup but one we're used to after decades.

After turning all power off and opening the 'outdoor + hall' switch, I see this:

The replacement switch looks like this (sorry for the lack of focus):

Different enough to make me want some guidance as to what goes in L1, L2, etc, in a way that keeps (or improves) the current operation of the lights.

Grateful for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Your existing switch has two gangs that are diagonally opposed , ( so the right side is " upside down" ). New switch has the two gangs side by side.
So take one gang at a time ,transferring the conductors from com to com. L1 to L1 and L2 to L2. Like for like in other words.

Mark all your wires with a marker pen, before you disconnect anything.
you’ll not get anyone on site to help you out at the moment!

EDIT: your existing switch plate is not earthed!
Make sure that the new one is earthed.

A PIC behind the other switch may help fix the long term issue.
A pic of the side which does downstairs

Sponsored Links
Your existing switch has two gangs that are diagonally opposed , ( so the right side is " upside down" ). New switch has the two gangs side by side.
So take one gang at a time ,transferring the conductors from com to com. L1 to L1 and L2 to L2. Like for like in other words.

Cheers Terry.

Mark all your wires with a marker pen, before you disconnect anything.
you’ll not get anyone on site to help you out at the moment!

EDIT: your existing switch plate is not earthed!
Make sure that the new one is earthed.

I definitely will do, it's another metal plate that's going in as a replacement too.

A PIC behind the other switch may help fix the long term issue.
A pic of the side which does downstairs

The long term issue of having to turn on/off multiple switches to get the outside light to work? I'll get a picture of the switch at the other end of the wall uploaded asap - thanks Andy.

Don't apologise this is what the forum is all about.
The advice to mark carefully and transfer one wire at a time is correct and that will maintain what you currently have.

However it seems you have something unusual there and in the picture I can't quite make out how many cables you have, I think I see 4 cables in total but only 4 wires going to the switch.

Another pic of that switch but taken from the other side so we can see detail of the red taped joint , are there several joints in that red tape?

And of course the other switch details too please.

Apologies for another lighting switch query...

I want to replace some double light switches, hoping for some guidance as to what I'm looking at with the current setup.

There are two doubles at either end of the hall, and the hall light can be operated from either. To make it even more complicated (for me), an external light is also wired into one of them, in a way that has always required some trial-and-error switching at either end of the hall to turn it on. Probably a silly setup but one we're used to after decades.

After turning all power off and opening the 'outdoor + hall' switch, I see this:

The replacement switch looks like this (sorry for the lack of focus):

Different enough to make me want some guidance as to what goes in L1, L2, etc, in a way that keeps (or improves) the current operation of the lights.

Grateful for any advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back