Electric woes with a new 2 way light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I have just replaced a 2 way light switch in my hall and am having problems getting it to work properly. I removed an old light switch and tried to replace the wires like for like but it was a different format.

Here is the switch after I have attached the cables.

The switch nearest the wall operates a hall light (hall) and there is another single switch at the other end of the hall which operates this light too. The switch closest to the viewer operates an outside light (outside).

I have attached the cables as follows;

Red - L1 (hall)
Grey - L2 (hall)

Blue - L1 (outside)
Yellow - L2 (outside)

I also have a grey cable going between the 2 com ports.

When I switched the power back on the lights worked and I was impressed however when I try and turn them on together they both go off! They only work 1 at a time. In addition the switch at the other end of the hall now does not operate the light either to turn it on or off.

I have tried changing the wires round but nothing yet has solved the problem.

Any advice on how the wires should be attached would be greatly appreciated.

If you need any other info please let me know.

Many Thanks in advance.

Russell.

Sponsored Links
You need to know how that blue/red/yellow wire is connected at the other end - this will be the other switch. Copy the connections in ONE switch module here.

As far as I can tell, one of those three is also a permenant live. The link wire connects in the terminal with this one. (At the other end, the perm live will connect to another red core in the same temrinal)

The other end of the link wire goes to the other switches com, and the grey wire goes to the other switches L1.

Thanks for that here is the other light switch (single).

The blue wire is going into the com port at the bottom in picture.

top left 2 reds into No2 and top right a red and a yellow into No 1.

Does that cast any light on the situation?

Cheers

Russell.

Move the red from L1 to the com with the link on the left hand switch.
You'll probably also need to move the other end of this link on the right hand switch to L1, the blue to com and the yellow stays in L2.

Sponsored Links
I think your original description of the switch nearest the wall in the first picture operating the hall light and the switch with the blue and yellow wires operating the outside light is wrong, it's the other way round.

After following spark123's advice (which is almost certainly right) if the outside light doesn't work all the time whatever position the hall switches are in, swap the red and yellow over in the 2 gang switch. (the permanent live and switch live in the 2nd photo of the 1 gang switch are both red so it's possible the permanent live is paired up with the yellow)

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice. Spark you were spot on! I think I did have them the wrong way round as descibed mikeyd as after the changes I had to turn the switch upside down.

All works fine now and thanks again for all your help.

Russell :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back