2-gang light switch - 2 common feeds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

So I am planning to replace my living room light switch with a smart switch such as this https://www.diy.com/departments/wif...eded-black-body/5060774555408_BQ.prd?alt=true

The existing switches have 2 gangs (for 2 lights) - each with T&E to the fitting with a live common and switched return like this: -

1.jpg

This makes sense and is like wiring 2 different wires to 2 different switches, but in the same enclosure. Though I'm aware it's also common to have a single hot feed in and "jumper" to the second common terminal to feed the second light in some 2-gang switches.

I have another switch in the house (outside bathroom) that looks like this, whereby there's what appears to be 2 x T&E but also a jumper in place between the 2 commons: -
2.jpg

So when replacing the switches, they generally only have a single common with multiple switched outs as per the diagram below. The question is what should I do with the "other" common feed to the switch (blobbed in blue below)...

3.jpg

For the second one above I assume I simply connect both commons into the single common on the new switch (as they're bridged already). For the other however, do I need to bridge those too, or simply use one of the feeds and put a closed-end terminal on the second and don't use?

And regarding the above - will there be a reason for the 2 different configurations? For example the first one I know each feed is "hot" from my tester - I haven't done the same on the other switch yet, but could that be that the hot is routed "through" this switch to the next light and that's why it's bridged in this case but not the other? I do know there is a separate ceiling fan off this switch powered when one of the lights is on (via an isolating switch) so could it be to do with that?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
In the UK we call it live (or line), Americans call it hot.
As to your first question, are both the lights on the same fuse/MCB?
If they are then you can just put the 2 red live cables together in the common terminal.
If they are on different fuses then you will need 2 x 1 gang switches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back