2 Gang switch wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Our kitchen light failed about 2 weeks ago, I am normally OK with electrics but have got myself messed up. We have a 2 way gang switch fitted in the kitchen that controlled the celling light and side light. We had tiling done where the guy fitting it terminated the side light so effectively had only the celling light operational which is not a problem. I replaced the switch as I thought the switch had failed. I have attached a pic of the way I have connected to get an idea but of course it is not working. I have looked at 2 way gang wiring setup and have noticed there is a wire connecting the 2 com ports which has never been there on my switch.

Thanks in advance
John

Attachments

• Switch.jpg
    Switch.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 60
Sponsored Links
Are there other light switches in the kitchen that also control these lights?

Well, the switch wiring APPEARS ok for two 1-way switches.

Has the wiring at the light fittings been disturbed?

Sponsored Links
No checked them as well all good, Have checked the voltage at the Switch good too.

What about the main kitchen light, have you checked the lamp (bulb)?

What type of light is it?

How has he 'terminated' the side light wiring?
Perhaps he has separated some wires there that shouldn't be?

What testing have you done since you posted last time?

Were all 4 wires terminated before your tiler disconnected?

Have you found a short piece of wire laying around?

Hi Thanks, the contractor terminated the one side light but the Kitchen light has always worked up to now. I have tested the the switch wires and are fine coming in and also with a known working light fitting. Cheers

The loop in the ceiling is also fine, I am thinking the cable directly to light may have been damaged in some way but have had no current work done in that area.

What
Only DC tests 240v Cheers
What does this mean ^^ ?
Measure the AC voltages present on all 4 conductors present at the switch, measuring each one to earth, and with switches in the "On" position.

What

What does this mean ^^ ?
Measure the AC voltages present on all 4 conductors present at the switch, measuring each one to earth, and with switches in the "On" position.
On AND Off positions please

Attachments

• 1675201872876.png
    1675201872876.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 40

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back