2 Gang to 3 Gang question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, Ok,
I know that this question will have probably been asked a thousand times, so I'm gonna make it 1001!!

I live in a late 60's early 70's property. I currently have a 2 gang switch in the kitchen that I want to convert to a 3 gang smart switch.

Here's my issues:

1. The back box is 16mm (not an issue, but the internal wall it's on is house brick and it's gonna make a mess angle grinding the cutout deeper!!)
2. I am currently remodelling and have pulled the ceiling down so no issue getting to the cables. That's when I spot the rabbit warren of cables. The lights have no ceiling roses and so have been connected in terminal boxes. My OCD has kicked in!
3. I need to add the outside light to the switch so need to change it to a three gang.

My question is, how can I do it, without having three 2&E in the wall? I also know that most smart switches require a N so can I do this?
I am attaching a sketch of what I think I know it's wrong!!

Please Help!!
2 gang.jpg

Sponsored Links
Drawlilmuk, are you saying you want a neutral to be present at the switch as well, for a smart switch?

If you do require one, are the switch cables in conduit? A house of your age tends to have conduit, so drawing in another cable may be possible.

Sponsored Links
Drawlilmuk, are you saying you want a neutral to be present at the switch as well, for a smart switch?

If you do require one, are the switch cables in conduit? A house of your age tends to have conduit, so drawing in another cable may be possible.
Hi sparkwright, ideally yes I would like a neutral so I don't have to have a capacitor! The cables are in conduit, however the conduit is no longer in the wall as I have chipped the plaster away to expose the conduit. Am I right in assuming that I could change one of the t&e into a 3&e and bring a neutral that way?

Last edited:
Ok, Ok. Many thanks to everyone that helped. I followed the diagram that you posted @EFLImpudence and it works at treat. I now have one more favour to ask this fantastic forum. I now need to convert that to a three gang Smart Switch. Can anyone help? Or am I being stupid?
wiring.png20220706_152243.jpg20220706_152212.jpg

I even pulled through a neutral in case...

Firstly the switch:

The Red supply Live (the one linked to all three switches) goes to L.
The other three wires - Yellow, Black and other Red - go to L1, L2 & L3 in which ever order you want them.

What is the part in the diagram to the left of the switch supposed to be?

Your pictures show that cables are not as you thought.
There is not two Twin & Earth cables but one Twin(-core) & Earth and one Three-core and Earth.

Therefore you have a spare Blue wire which, presumably, could be connected to Neutral at its other end if you wanted.
I suppose there is a possibility that it already is but I wouldn't think so.

Firstly the switch:

The Red supply Live (the one linked to all three switches) goes to L.
The other three wires - Yellow, Black and other Red - go to L1, L2 & L3 in which ever order you want them.

What is the part in the diagram to the left of the switch supposed to be?

Your pictures show that cables are not as you thought.
There is not two Twin & Earth cables but one Twin(-core) & Earth and one Three-core and Earth.

Therefore you have a spare Blue wire which, presumably, could be connected to Neutral at its other end if you wanted.
I suppose there is a possibility that it already is but I wouldn't think so.
I even pulled through a neutral in case...

@SUNRAY , i just think that I have confused matters!! I did follow how @EFLImpudence showed, only difference is that I used as you said a 3 core and earth, therefore leaving the blue spare to use as a neutral. It's connected to the neutral line at the other end ready. So I am just checking if anyone knows if I can use that configuration to wire a smart switch...

So it appears you have this:
1657188321946.png
I'd say well done and if the neutral is required for the smart switch it's ready and waiting.
However the unit you show doesn't appear to need it:
1657189318806.png
Earth not shown for clarity.
Remember to add an earth wire to the new switch if it's a metal front plate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back