2 layers of tiles to deal with, and which method to use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi am just about to start removing my tiles in the bathroom to tile new and my neighbour wants to do the same and wants us to help each other to work together, only thing is I was going to remove the lot and he has said that he is pretty sure the top layer will come off without too much hassle whereas the second layer will be really stubborn. They are both 1930's houses and we suspect that the first layer will have been there quite a while in both cases.

So although I was ready to go ahead with mine I am not sure what is best for him, he is suggesting taking the top layer off and then plasterboarding over it, what do you guys think of that, is it feasible or not?

How would we fix the plasterboard to the first layer of tiles?

Would you have a reason not to do it this way, and if so which way would you do it?

Which plasterboard would you use, the green stuff, or something else?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
happyhero said:
he is suggesting taking the top layer off and then plasterboarding over it, what do you guys think of that, is it feasible or not?
Seems like an unusual approach.

How would we fix the plasterboard to the first layer of tiles?

Would you have a reason not to do it this way, and if so which way would you do it?
Why use plasterboard at all? Why would you not simply tile over the first layer again (or remove it)?

Which plasterboard would you use, the green stuff, or something else?
I'd use Aquapanal or Hardiebacker board. Failing that I'd use WBP plywood. Definitely not plasterboard.

If your top layer of tiles comes off clean, just tile straight onto the old tiles (assuming they're fixed firm) - you should be pretty much assured that the old ones won't budge. Tiles generally only fall off when tub mixed stuff was used.
Plasterboard is absolutely fine in a bathroom so long as you tank any plasterboard around bath/shower areas prior to tiling.

Ah yes - plasterboard is fantastic until it gets wet; which makes it the 'perfect' material for a wet area. ;)

Sponsored Links
Ah yes - plasterboard is fantastic until it gets wet; which makes it the 'perfect' material for a wet area. ;)
See my comment on tanking. There's no perfect substrate for around a shower - tanking is recommended in each case for a bomb-proof job. Just so happens, that plasterboard is the cheapest and easiest to work with. When tanked, is cheaper and better than Aquapanel untanked.

I'm ribbing you g - remember we did this before and realised that we'd never resolve it? ;)

My advice, as a bald git, is to just shave it off. Removes all that uncertainty. :D

It's been closely cropped since 2001 - saves so much time and money by not going to the barbers. ;)
Just of late though the hairline has been heading south.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back