2 light cables into switch, single light, want to cap off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've had a look to see if something similar has been posted previously, but can't see anything specific.

New property and the bedroom has a double gang dimmer switch. There is only 1 light in the bedroom (and this is controlled by one of the switches).

Wanted to change this to a single dimmer as 2 switches are uneccessary - and I keep pressing the wrong one!

When opening up the light switch box, see two light cable wires going into the double-gang dimmer. So presumably the bedroom used to have 2 lights controlled by 2 switches.

Question is - how can I install a single dimmer and cap off the second cable wires safely?

I'm guessing the second cable is live as it has been wired to the switch. Can I just use a plastic junction box (or similar) and some insulation tape? Not sure there'll be enough space behind the plate to accomodate this though.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
you can just terminate the unused cables in some choc block terminal strip inside the existing back box.

Just to check, those two cables do definitely go to separate gangs and not both to the same gang?

Sponsored Links
are there any spare sockets for bedside lights maybe, that the 2nd switch could control ?

'fraid not.

Not sure why someone had once installed 2 lights, as it's fairly small room (3m x 3m). Maybe the second switch powered a fan or something(?)

Anyway, it appears the previous owners couldn't be bothered to find a solution so just put a 2-gang switch on instead.

you can just terminate the unused cables in some choc block terminal strip inside the existing back box.

Thanks, do I just attach Earth, Live and Neutral wires to one side of the strip without any additional insulation?

Thanks, do I just attach Earth, Live and Neutral wires to one side of the strip without any additional insulation?
Yes, but you'll also need to put a little bit of green/yellow sleeving on the bare 'earth' wire.

Kind Regards, John

Wouldn't connecting the CPC(earth wire) to the earth terminal be desirable?
I thought about suggesting that (which is probably what I would do), but decided that it was slightly more complicated for the OP, and I couldn't really think of a particularly compelling reason for doing it - do I take it that you disagree?

Kind Regards, John

Not certain. That's why I formed it as a question.

It depends where the cable goes.
I suppose if there was a reason to connect it, it will be earthed at the other end.

I'd like to connect them all to earth but can't tell from here.

Not certain. That's why I formed it as a question. It depends where the cable goes. I suppose if there was a reason to connect it, it will be earthed at the other end.
As I said, I did consider this question. In the end, I decided that it's no different from, say, the CPC in a cable going to a Class II item - i.e. all one needs is to find somewhere to 'park it'. As you say/imply, if it's a 'live' cable, teh CPC should be connected at the other end.
I'd like to connect them all to earth but can't tell from here.
As I said, that's probably what I would do - but probably only through 'habit'. I can't really think of any particular benefit in deliberately creating 'earth loops'.

alex_diz: I don't think you should worry about these subsequent exchange between EFLI and myself. You can either do as you said, and put all three wires into one side of a connector block or, if you'd prefer, and if there is an earth terminal in the back box (or on the switch plate), you could connect the earth wire (with G/Y sleeving) to that, and the other two (live and neutral) wires to a connector block.

Kind Regards, John

alex_diz: I don't think you should worry about these subsequent exchange between EFLI and myself. You can either do as you said, and put all three wires into one side of a connector block or, if you'd prefer, and if there is an earth terminal in the back box (or on the switch plate), you could connect the earth wire (with G/Y sleeving) to that, and the other two (live and neutral) wires to a connector block.

Kind Regards, John

OK - thanks John (and everyone else who responded)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back