2 new socket intallations - how much?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having my kitchen refitted and will need 2 new plug sockets fitted where I'm extending the worktop futher than existing one. How much can I expect to pay for this work approximately?

Also I may need to have some under cabinet lighting fitted. The wiring will already be there as I have flourescent under cabinet lighting at the moment and have bought tri-lights to replace them (5 lights in total). How much could I be charged to fit those?

Does it need to be done by an electrician if the wiring is already there? The new lights are mains voltage (no transformer) as were the orginal lights.

Thanks for any help with this.

Sponsored Links
The work should be done by a registered electrician (www.competentperson.co.uk) or if you are not doing it yourself then you'd have to notify the local authority and pay their fee.

See WIKI on electrical work and the law.

Impossible to say cost. All new work will have to be to the latest regulations and cost will depend on if your installation needs some tweaks to bring it up to scratch.

Cost also depends on the logistics of the job:
is cable access easy
can floor above be lifted (or is it a tiled bathroom)

The only way to get quotes is to get a couple of electricians in to look at the job. Use the web site above.

T2C

Why will the OP need to access floor above for under cabinet lighting :D

Cabinet lighting is normally via a 3a fused spur off the kitchen ring socket circuit.

I take it Mr Beef that new tiling for the kitchen walls will be done, since it's very likely the ring will have to be extended from an existing socket. Routing cables will be a wall chase, so the tiles will have to be broken / removed.

Decide who your going to give the work to and reduce the cost by providing the chase route and choping wall for the back boxes for sockets and cabinet fused spur.

Sponsored Links
Also I may need to have some under cabinet lighting fitted. The wiring will already be there as I have flourescent under cabinet lighting at the moment and have bought tri-lights to replace them (5 lights in total).
Why? Did it not occur to you that
1. Nobody can see the lights anyway
2. Your current lights give far better light than halogen lights ever will.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back