2-pole 2-way switch as 'electrical accessory'

Sponsored Links
I have plenty of toggle and rocker switches which would do the job, functionally speaking, if I mounted them on a 'blank plate', but wondered whether anyone is aware of any 'electrical accessory' that would fit the bill (maybe a grid component/module?) - i.e. one which could go straight onto a standard back box. 5A or so capability would be adequate.
I'm trying to think of a general, electrical-installationy need for such a thing, which would mean there would be a big enough demand for them to be on the market, and I can't.

Does it have to look like a regular light switch?

Sponsored Links
I'm trying to think of a general, electrical-installationy need for such a thing, which would mean there would be a big enough demand for them to be on the market, and I can't.
Nor can I, which is why I have always presumed that they probably don't exist. It's not the first occasion on which I personally could have made use of one, but I agree that it's going to be a fairly rare requirement - quite probably not big enough to sustain a market.
Does it have to look like a regular light switch?
Not really; I'm perfectly happy to 'make one up', which I can do easily without even having to buy anything. However (although I've deviated from this quite a lot of times in my house!), I prefer to use 'standard electrical accessories' when I can, "for the sake" of anyone else who may find themselves dealing with (or inspecting!) the electrical installation at some point in the future!

There are, of course, plenty of big chunky 2-pole, 3-pole and 4-pole 'changeover switches' out there but, quite apart from the size and cost, I'd prefer something that doesn't look as if it belongs in an industrial switchgear room!

Kind Regards, John
Edit: crucial missing word added!

Last edited:
I'm perfectly happy to 'make one up', which I can do easily without even having to buy anything.
If you have blank plates and snap-in rocker switches you can make one which looks very like a regular accessory.

Thinking about it there proberly no good as there Momentary and will spring back to centre off, the Gewiss ones tend to be DP

Most tend to have there own odd shape box but with more people having electric blinds in there homes, then maybe a standard size switch exists somewhere
Are they not usually spring-biased to a centre 'off' position? I want standard 2-way functionality - i.e. it stays in the selected 'way' when I let go!

Kind Regards, John
Edit: Ah, missed your recent post!

Interesting thought. I did think of trying to find a way of 'sticking together' the rockers of a 2-gang switch, but it would probably take a fair bit of effort to make it look better than naff.

Kind Regards, John
shopping

You can fit 2 gridswitches in these, though unlikely, would it be a problem if one switch failed and did not switch

If you have blank plates and snap-in rocker switches you can make one which looks very like a regular accessory.
Indeed - that's what I'm thinking of doing. However, as I said, that still might well 'throw' someone else subsequently look at/dealing with it!

Mind you, I'm also thinking of possibly using a toggle switch on a blank plate, deliberately to provide a clue to any subsequent observer that it is not a standard electrical accessory for which they could buy a replacement! That would also have the advantage that a round hole is much easier to make in that wretched 'unforgiving' material than is a rectangular ones :)

Kind Regards, John

There are, of course, plenty of big chunky 2-pole, 3-pole and 4-pole 'changeover switches' out there but, quite apart from the size and cost, I'd prefer something that doesn't look as if it belongs in an industrial switchgear room!
Oh go on go on go on

61wH-n1pbQL._SY438_.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back