2gang 2 way dimmer switch wiring help confused

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so I hope someone can help with my little problem?
What I have at the moment is downstairs in the hall I have a two gang two way rocker switch which I can turn on/off both upstairs landing lights and downstairs hall lights, then upstairs I have two way two gang rocker switch which I again can turn on/off both upstairs and downstairs lights, at each switch I have one old 3 core red/blue/yellow one new 3 core brown/grey/black and one 2 core red/black, what I would like to do is change the downstairs rocker switch for a 2 way 2 gang dimmer switch which I have purchased from screwfix I got the switch home expecting 6 connection holes ie 2 separate L connections two separate L1,s and two separate L2s as per the same as rocker switch but no what I have is 5 connection holes from left to right on the back of the switch I have (~1) (~2 ) (L) (~1) (~2) so my question is how do I wire this up or have I brought the wrong switch for what I want any advice would be greatly appreciated

Dan

Sponsored Links
Hi, i suspect your dimmer which is a master will have a matching slave for use on two-way circuits.

The dimmer you have has a common L connection unlike a bog standard dimmer.

I would check with the manufacturer before trying to connect it or you may damage the unit.

Regards,

DS

Thanks for your help this is the dimmer switch I have brought is this a master? LAP 2-Gang 2-Way Dimmer Switch Mains/Low Voltage 250W Black NickelProduct Code: 51538

I guess that 51538 is Screwfix part number? If so, I dont see the words 'master' or 'slave' mentioned in the LAP dimmer range.

There are no instructions on their website. Did you get some instructions with the product? What does it say?

A photo of the wiring instructions and alsoof the wiring of both switches might help.

Sponsored Links
Pic one is landing light switch pic two is hallway light switch pic three is wired up dimmer switch

what I would like to do is change the downstairs rocker switch for a 2 way 2 gang dimmer switch
You do realise, I hope, that if you turn the landing light on using the landing switch, it will come on at the brightness it was last set to by the dimmer switch downstairs, and that if that's not what you want you'll have to go downstairs to change the brightness, then come back up?

my question is how do I wire this up or have I brought the wrong switch for what I want any advice would be greatly appreciated
Did it really not come with the instructions showing you how to wire it up?

And do you have 1 lighting circuit, or different ones for upstairs and downstairs? If the latter, are the hall and landing lights on the same one (either both on the downstairs or both on the upstairs), or are they on different ones?

Yes I am aware of that thanks all we would like is to be able to dim the downstairs lights, it did come with instructions but they are what prentice boy of Derry posted and don't really help as I have 3 sets or wires at each switch and also the upstairs lights and downstairs lights are on different circuits

Yes I am aware of that thanks all we would like is to be able to dim the downstairs lights,
But you've bought a 2-gang dimmer, so the upstairs light will also be on it.

the upstairs lights and downstairs lights are on different circuits
Then you can't use that dimmer, as it has a terminal in common for both gangs, which will join the circuits. You need one with 2 sets of separate terminals.

Then you can't use that dimmer, as it has a terminal in common for both gangs, which will join the circuits. You need one with 2 sets of separate terminals.

Agreed. This is a problem with a lot of these "imported technology" dimmers. I had the same problem with some Retrotouch dimmers in a similar situation. They are just fine if everything is on a common circuit (like all upstairs, etc) but fall down when there is an upstairs/downstairs situation.

You also have to seriously rejig the wiring to make it work like it wants to work. Not an easy job for the DIYer who doesn't understand what all those coloured wires are for.

Thanks yes I'm aware that upstairs and downstairs will both be on a dimmer when all we really want is to dim the downstairs but I could not find a combined dimmer rocker switch in the style we want, I did expect when I bought this to find the common terminal separated as in the rocker switches it doesn't state anywhere on the product that it only has one common terminal for both gangs, and I wasn't sure if I was missing something but you have both very kindly helped me, so back it goes to screwfix and off to find another dimmer with separated common terminals thanks again gents for your time

Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back