2 Problems, but maybe 1?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Recently one of our toilets stopped flushing properly. The main flush works, but you have to hold the button down longer. The small flush does nothing. So, my first question is - how do I take the lid off? Tried pulling, seemed stucj. Tried unscrewing the flush buttons thinking that they needed to be removed first, nothing. A photo of my toilet:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Oaup55fAfDkgquUNe2Jd_tMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

The other thing is that just now I noticed that my outside tap is not working. Now, it has been cold recently, but the last few days were mild, and the tap can only have a very short pipe from the kitchen.

So, could these 2 things be somehow related?

All other cold taps (3 basins, 1 sink) and the other 2 toilets are flushing OK.

Suggestions?

Many thanks

Jon.

Sponsored Links
Unscrew the Silver ring that contains the flush buttons, that is what is holding the lid down.

As to the outside tap - it`s probably got a built in non return valve , got frozen and jammed up - should have a double check valve inside the house near a lever ball shut off valve for the winter isolation ;)

As to the outside tap - it`s probably got a built in non return valve , got frozen and jammed up - should have a double check valve inside the house near a lever ball shut off valve for the winter isolation ;)

Sponsored Links
Is there a way to force it open?

Are you sure your toilet cistern isn't connected to the outside tap on a hosepipe? :mrgreen:

Just kidding.
Your push button flush could be a type where you have to pop the buttons out first (with a small screwdriver) and this reveals a plastic screw underneath which secures the button to the flush valve assembly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back