2 problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have 2 issues that I would like some help with.

I am changing a 2 gang socket and I am getting a slight shock when trying to screw it back.

If I touch the metal back box with the metal socket I can see a small spark.

Does the socket need changing or is it something else.

The other issue is that the hole where the screw connects to must be slightly damaged because I cannot tighten it fully.

Is there a way around this or does it need changing.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Are you getting shock when the circuit is isolated or whilst energized?
Have you terminated the conductors into the correct terminals?
It is possible you have wiring fault but also it is possible that the socket is faulty!

With regards to backbox lug thread, they do cross thread, but also check that the screw has not threaded and check that the screw is not too long and catching the back of the backbox when being screwed in.
If the lug thread has gone, was around this is to replace the box, replace the lug if not rigidly fixed or re-tap the thread using a 3.5mm rethreader/tapping tool.

I just had to do this and I fixed an M3.5 nut to the back of the lug using epoxy resin. Worked a treat.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for the advice.

I'll try fixing a nut to the back of the lug.

I turned the power off, connected the plate and then turned the power back on. You don't get any shock.

It was still sparking when I touched the back box with the face plate, but it was instant, it didn't keep sparking.

Is that an earth problem?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back