2 Pump Non Vented System Help Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello just bought this house and it has a Worcester Bosch 19/24 boiler connected to an unvented system with two pumps and two diverter valves, one pump runs continuously and I the only way I can switch it off is with the isolator switch, is this correct

2nd question please, would one pump be for CH and the other for HW or someone said one to bring the water up to the cylinder and one to push the water around the system

I have changed the thermistor in the boiler but it made no difference

any advice/help please, thanks

Sponsored Links
Stop tinkering with the boiler is what I'm going to suggest. If your car does not start, do you replace all the tyres?

Second pump most likely be a pump that allows you instant hot water at any tap. Switching the power off means now you will have to wait till hot water travels from the cylinder to the tap you are running.

Thanks for the response...so are you suggesting the second pump should run continuously . Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response...so are you suggesting the second pump should run continuously . Thanks

Yes, what DPis suggesting is that there is a loop of pipe, through which HW is continuously pumped. It means that HW is instantly available at the taps, you don't have to wait for it to come from the tank.

Not commonly used in domestic situations, but common in hotels and such like

If it's truly a secondary hot water circulation you could stick it on a timer, to run when hot water's being frequently used. That's what we used to do for DHW secondary circulation in commercial buildings.

and domestic buildings... they are hugely wasteful and should be properly controlled...

ok thanks, if someone can confirm from the pictures that it is a secondary pump then that would be good, also there doesn't seem to be a thermostat on the hot water tank anywhere, how does the system know when the temperature is reached?

Thanks for all the replies

Yes I'd say it was a secondary return for sure, how big is your property?
you may or may not need/req it, try turning it off and see how you get on without it
if you find that you don't want it then disconnect it and its associated pipe work also

Matt

ps the thermostat is inside the grey box

Ok thanks, does the thermostat switch need to be turned on.
Thanks
No, the thermostat does not have an isolating switch
the "gray box" also contains an immersion heater which does have a switch leave this off (use it only when you boiler is not available to provide heat)

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back