S Plan with 2 Pumps 1 Pump 24/7

@ianmcd Thanks so much for your reply greatly appreciated I'll put pir sensors in the 5 bathrooms and toilets along with the Kitchen and Utility room now that's what I call twaddle, cant you do better?

Sponsored Links
@ianmcd Thanks so much for your reply greatly appreciated I'll put pir sensors in the 5 bathrooms and toilets along with the Kitchen and Utility room now that's what I call twaddle, cant you do better?
well how else apart from a timer are you going to control it ?

Thats the question I am asking, when the HW is called from the boiler is there a connection I can make to turn the pump on, I dont want to use a timer its to inflexible If I want to boost hot water I'll have to turn it on at the Nest then go upstairs to the pump and override the timer, the wife will love that

Not sure you are grasping the concept of a secondary return pump, it is just to keep the water in the pipes hot so that you don't have to run the taps too long and wait for hot water.
Set the timer for when you expect hot water to be used i.e. early morning and afternoon/evening.

Your cylinder will heat up as it does normally.

Sponsored Links
You dont understand how your system works, when you switch the HW on at your programmer, this sends power to the HW zone valve, the valve opens and this valve tells the boiler and pump to come on, to heat the water inside the HW cylinder, the water in the cylinder and the water from the boiler never meet, they are completely seperate, the other pump that you have, circulates the water that comes out of your HW taps around a circuit so that you dont have to run too much water until it gets hot, hence why we use PIR circuits so that the secondary pump only runs when someone is actually in a room that will require the secondary circuit to run, you are probably best just leaving it on constant if you cant accept how it actually works

Ok thank you for that, I'm sure your right its pretty difficult to understand when you show the system to two professionals which I have done over the last 5 years and they dont seem to know why I had two pumps, the pro that wired it in the first place according to an earlier poster wired it wrong because it was running 24/7

Then someone calls it a DHW Circulating pump and now its a secondary return pump ;)

OK so I think the penny has finally dropped and from what I understand this DHW Circulating pump or secondary return pump has nothing to do with moving the HW from the boiler to the tank that will happen anyway ?

The circulating pump moves the water around the system to the taps to speed up HW?

So is there anything in the central heating wiring centre that I can connect to to turn the DHW pump on when the HW is on at the boiler?

Thanks

So is there anything in the central heating wiring centre that I can connect to to turn the DHW pump on when the HW is on at the boiler?
no that wiring controls when the cylinder needs to be heated and the secondary return circulator, moves the water in the cylinder around a completely different circuit for when you need to draw HW not heat the water in the cylinder, hence why you an only use a timer or PIR system, you can set a timer as already said for when HW is mostly used , if the timer is set to off you will still get HW from the tap but will take a while running to get hot, this pic shows how the secondary sytem works, it does not show the primary system (what heats the water in the cylinder ) only how the domestic HW is circulated from the cylinder around your home .

sec.jpg

It would be a good idea if you posted a photo of the pump so we can confirm it is a secondary return pump.

If your primary pump controlled by your boiler you could probably just use the same live or use that live to switch a relay.

The yellow coloured pump is a Bronze pump, that is your secondary circulation pump

It would be a good idea if you posted a photo of the pump so we can confirm it is a secondary return pump.

If your primary pump controlled by your boiler you could probably just use the same live or use that live to switch a relay.
So is that a secondary return and pump and could it be wired in a way to come on when heat is called from the boiler, because others are saying no and use a PIR or Timer, thanks

So is that a secondary return and pump and could it be wired in a way to come on when heat is called from the boiler, because others are saying no and use a PIR or Timer, thanks
No they are two completely seperate water systems, you can get wifi PIR sensors that all connect to a single on-off switch that will bring the pump on when someone enters a bathroom or kitchen, or a simple timer if you prefer, but you cant control it using your existing controls

Ok I withdraw the Twaddle bit, my initial reaction was it was stupid idea but on reflection its not and when I thought about I have several zwave sensors around the house anyway so I just need a few more to cover everything

Thanks

Ok I withdraw the Twaddle bit, my initial reaction was it was stupid idea but on reflection its not and when I thought about I have several zwave sensors around the house anyway so I just need a few more to cover everything

Thanks

So, instead of knocking ALL professionals... Perhaps you realise that YOUR professionals weren't! Or maybe they were and you just didn't listen to or understand them?

Full marks to @ianmcd for sticking with this to help you

So, instead of knocking ALL professionals... Perhaps you realise that YOUR professionals weren't! Or maybe they were and you just didn't listen to or understand them?

Full marks to @ianmcd for sticking with this to help you

I didn't knock ALL professionals, I suggest you read the post correctly and understand what has been said before you make stupid comments and I quote

"Thanks, I guess your right but it was a professional that wired it wrong in the first place"

a professional doesn't mean all does it

"system to two professionals which"
Two professionals doesn't mean all either

if you read the post correctly Ian threw the insult first I just replied also I thanked him for his help and had the courage to admit that I was wrong, which I bet is more than you ever do!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back