2 stroke petrol mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently bought a 2 stroke powered brush cutter off e-bay only to find all the instructions are in German!
Can anyone advise me about the best way to mix the petrol/oil to run the motor,think it takes 25:1 which doesn't mean a lot to me,I'm guessing 25 parts petrol to 1 part oil which doesn't seem right :confused:
My only experience with 2 stroke engines has been with those in motorbikes that have their own oil pumps,don't want to get it wrong and mess up the motor before I get chance to use it!

Sponsored Links
25 parts petrol to 1 part oil sounds reasonable

you can buy a litre of moped/scooter 2-stroke oil from the garage which may be cheaper than the tiny bottles sold in the garden centre.

Buy yourself a distinctive 1 or 5 litre petrol can and mark it "2-stroke mixture" so that you can mix it up in bulk, and don't accidentally use it for anything else. Pour it in and shake it to mix. Shake again before tipping into your brushcutter tank in case it has settled.

Perol will only store for a few months. If you try to store it for a year it will absorb moisture and "go off" so the motor may not start next time. If you know any young lad with a premix moped you can offer him the remains at the end of autumn.

Do not spill the petrol on the lawn as it will kill grass.

Thanks JohnD, went to get some 2 stroke on my way home from work from local DIY and lo and behold they had a handy 1 ltr container purpose made,marked with various ratios, for mixing up the necessary go-juice, only leaves me wondering.....don't these little(25cc) motors need engine/gearbox oil as well?can't find anywhere to put any in,I'm guessing(hoping)that as there's no gearbox as such it doesn't need any?
Looked at the schematic German diagrams and there doesn't seem to be any mention(picture)of any being needed.. :confused:

it doesn't need engine oil because the petroil mixture is sucked through the crankcase, leaving a film of oil on the working parts.

don't know about gearbox, maybe it is direct drive or has sealed-for-life bearings.

Sponsored Links
what make of brush cutter is it? most garden machinery runs on a 50:1 ratio

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back