2 way - 2 gang switch problems!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please.

I have replaced the light swithches in my home. This has been fine apart from the switches in the hall. I have changed the Crabtree switches for MK (new compact terminal design) and having noted the wiring positions ( L1, L2 & COM) I find that the hall light switching did not work. However, each of the other lights (outside and living room) did work ok.

The current position is that I have managed to get the hall light to work but the switches work independent of each other. Both will turn the light on and off but when the light is on the other switch does not work.

In each box the earth wires are secured to the metal patrice.

In the box near the front door there are the following wires.

Outside light: L1 Red (live), COM Red, L2 black.
Hall light: L1 2Red (live), COM Red, L2 Black

In the box near the living room the wiring is different.

Living room: L1 Red (live), COM Red (live), L2 black.
Hall light: L1 Red (live), COM Red (live), L2 black
A Red wire connects both COM terminals.

I have tried every combination of wiring options but can not get the hall light to switch on fromm one switch and off from the other.

What have I done wrong?

Thanks for any advice.
TBolt

Sponsored Links
In the living room switch, I take it the L1 red and L2 black for the hall switch will leave in the same cable?
At the other end, are the L1 and L2 for the hall light switch from the same cable?
Is the outside light 2 way also?

Hi Spark123

I have just checked.

In the box near the living room the black and red come from the same cable.

At the front door the I have recorded an error in my description.

The switch to the outside light does not have a black wire in L2 it is empty. So presume this is a one way switch.

The the red cable in L1 (live) comes from cable where the black wire goes to L2 in the hall light switch.

Should I swap the red COM (outside light) for the black L2 (hall)?

Regards

I take it the red and black which connect to the outside light are from the same cable? I'd leave these alone for now as you say they are working OK.
The red and black for the hall light strappers (the red and black from the other switch) to the L1 and L2 on the hall switch.
The red wire (on its own?) to the com on the hall switch.

Sponsored Links
Hi Spark 123.

I tried to say in my last reply that the red and black from one cable is not matched to the same switch.

The outside light has only two red cables L1 (live) and com (not live).

The black wire from the cable that pairs with L1 above is in L2 on the hall switch.

Should I swap the non live red and black cables?

Can you confirm you have 5 wires in total, one red on its own and 2 twin and earth cables? Firstly make a note of what is where!
You say the outside light is switching as it should? This would lead me to suspect the red com is correct on this switch. Is this from a twin and earth cable? If so try putting the black from the same cable in L1.
For the hall switch, the other twin and earth cable, try this in L1 and L2. The other red core into com.

Hi Spark123,

At the box at the front door there are 6 wires (5 red wires and 1 black).

1 twin and earth and 4 red and earth.

The outside light works with a live red (from twin and earth) in L1 and a red wire (not live, from red & earth cable).

Hall light: L1 2Red (live), COM Red, L2 Black

Does any of this make sense?

I moved the black cable over to the front door switch to partner the red from the same twin & earth. However, the light would no longer switch on from any combination of L1 COM L2.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks
TBolt

OK, does the outside light continue to work when you switch the hall switch (living room/hall end)? I'm still of the opinion that the twin and earth is probably going to be the strapper as that is the colour at the other end, hopefully no-one has put in a hidden joint!!
Can you disconnect this twin and earth at both ends, with your multimeter set to ohms range measure the resistance across the red and black wires with the oppostie end red and black wires apart, then with them touched together? This should confirm wether or not it is the same wire. Then all you need to do is find out what all the other red/earth wires do.

Hi Spark 123,

The hall light does work when the outside light is on.

I shall folllow your advice and test all the wires this week end.

If I can not figure it out I shall call in an electrician.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards
TBolt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back