2 WAY CIRCUIT CONFUSION!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently went to replace an existing manual dimmer switch with a remote operated one in the lounge. It is a 2 way circuit so I have got a slave dimmer for the 2nd switch. I have done basic electrics before but when I took the face plate off the 2 switches I am now totally confused. Firstly the new switches don't have a terminal call common or com just L1 S and the squigley symbol which I think refers to load? and secondly I had an idea of what I expected to see when I took the old faceplates off but now I'm confused. I can see the yellow wire which I presume is part of the 3 core and earth which goes between the 2 switches. What really confuses me is that in both boxes the black/ blue wires are joined but not in terminals as part of the switch. There are only red wires going in and out of the switches (along with the yellow). So I have in one switch red in L1 and squigly terminal and yellow in L2 and then in the other switch I have 2 reds in COM a red in L1 and yellow in L2. Also to make things more confusing there are 3 cables in this 2nd switch - 2 twin and earth and the 3 core and earth. I wonder if this is simply where the supply is going into the hall to do the hall and landing lights.
If anyone has any idea of which wire goes into the L1, S and squigly symbol terminals of the new switches. The instructions aren't particularly good.
Ta

Sponsored Links
~ is the mains or Com connection..

L1 and S would be Live out and Slave , at a guess???

photo's would help us to answer this a lot easier..

can you post some of the switches, and the wiring in the boxes..

also, can you give us the model numbers and make of the switches so we can look them up please.

Sponsored Links
What do the instructions say?

Have you rung the manufacturer?

Have a look at //wiki.diynot.com/electrics:lighting:two_way_lighting

It sounds like the original is wired as the first circuit in the Wiki. The supply loops in and out of switch 2 (the second switch you describe), hence the two twin and earth cables (and two reds connected to COM) and the light is connected to the COM of switch 1. The switches are interconnected using the Red and Yellow of the 3 core cable.

The TLC note shows the required connections for the dimmers under the heading 'Using Master and Slave Units in 2-Way and Intermediate Circuits'. You can connect the two dimmers as described, L to L, S to S, squigle to squigle, using the Red, Yellow, Blue wires of the three core cable. You then connect the two reds that were on COM of switch 2 to the L of the dimmer and connect the Red that was on COM of Sw 1 to the Load (squigle) terminal. It doesn't matter which dimmer goes where because they are connected in parallel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back