2 way dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to wire up a new two way dimmer switch. I have 2 cables coming in, each with a bare earth cable, a black and a red. My switch also has a covered earth (green/yellow) coming out of it.

Each side of my switch has an L1 L2 and a third hole with ~ and an arrow going diagonally through it.

Any help on how to wire this up would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
you have 2 cables. one goes to one switch, the other one goes to the other switch.

red to ~
black to L1

You must sleeve those earth wires with g/y sleeving. Is it a metal switch? if so, the best thing to do is to connect the earths to the face plate. If not, connect them to the metal backbox terminal.

Thanks a lot for that! My lights now work, but the dimmer does nothing at all?

Not even turn the lights on and off when you press the buttons in?

Sponsored Links
filly, how was sthe old 2 gang switch wired did you make a note?

It was just an ordinary switch before and I did not make a note! I thought the instructions with the switch would be good enough! How wrong was I??

The lights turn on and off just fine but the dimmer does nothing at all!

What type of lights are they? Are they normal 60w bulbs etc, halogen etc?

I take it the dimmer is suitably rated for the amound of candle bulbs on each circuit, I would suspect the dimmer switches are broken.

Beats me! I reckon I will just make do with lights that work on a fancy new switch. Thanks for your help on getting them to work as it will be dark soon!

Cheers guys

How many 60w lamps are turned on from each dimmer switch? What does the rating on the dimmer switch say, i.e. 40 - 250w or 40 - 400w?

I have 3 60w bulbs off each switch! It says 60 - 250w and 200 - 250v-

My best description......
1 solid back plate
3 holes at top, 3 holes at bottom
top 3 labelled COM A, 1 way B and 2 way B
botton 3 labelled COM B, 2 way A and 1 way A

I can also tell which ones were used as The screws are still out,

On the top COM B and 1 way A were in use
On the bottom COM A and 1 way B were in use

Sounds like everything else is in order, my 10p is on the dimmer switches are to blame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back