2 way dimmer???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, have a problem in my lounge. :?: Have taken off the 2 way switch (1 way to the main light and 1 way to 2 wall lights, tried wiring a 2 way dimmer but cant get the wall lights to work , have got the main light working ok but can only get the lights to go on but cant turn them off, or if I try wiring another way nothing happens at all???
There are 2 red wires and 2 or 3 black wires, it is a plastic dimmer switch so no need to earth??? any ideas would be gratefully recieved. (do I need to connect the 2 switches??? cheers

Sponsored Links
How were they wired before? Was there a link in the old switch?

have you got a multimeter? are the 2 reds both live and the 2 (3) blacks all dead?

Sponsored Links
no dont have meter, really stupid that i didnt look at the wiring before i took the old swich off, just dont understand :oops: :?: :!: :oops:

You are up sh8t creek then. Lets take a step back.

Can you tell us exactly how many cables come to the switch and what colour the wires are of each cable. Saying its 2 or 3 blacks is, frankly, very unhelpful as we cant go and look to see, you can.

Even better if you can take aphoto and post it on here, we like photos!

wazlovesvic said:
Hello everyone, have a problem in my lounge. :?: Have taken off the 2 way switch (1 way to the main light and 1 way to 2 wall lights, tried wiring a 2 way dimmer but cant get the wall lights to work , have got the main light working ok but can only get the lights to go on but cant turn them off, or if I try wiring another way nothing happens at all???
There are 2 red wires and 2 or 3 black wires, it is a plastic dimmer switch so no need to earth??? any ideas would be gratefully recieved. (do I need to connect the 2 switches??? cheers
I hope you do not mean a 2-gang switch & you are trying to replace it with a 2-way dimmer, because if so as TTC says you are up the creek without a paddle, it can't be done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back