2 way light switch with 3 red wires help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
50E966DE-F921-4AF2-9277-CC65E76700D5.jpeg
Hi I have a switch with three red wires and 1 red and 1 yellow . I have no idea where all the red wires go to get the switches to function properley. It is a hall landing light . I can manage to get it to turn on and off but not sure how it to function to turn off once on from down stairs to up. Hope am making sense help me !!! I have tried it 100 ways am sure

Sponsored Links
I thought I could remember the way it went back not so clever as proven. So no idea after mesing with it the correct positions of the wires. The red wires in the top at present is the wire to connect the switch down stairs. Just can’t figure the others does one go to each other section the down stairs only has one red wire help

Move one of the reds (doesn't matter which) that is with the blue and put it with the yellow.

The Red wire at the other switch must be in the single terminal end with the Blue and Yellow at the other end.

Last edited:
This is the down stairs I have left the old switch plate up stairs but changed the down stairs but it’s not working does the wiring look ok on this pic to mirror what you have said red in L1 blue in L2 yellow com

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 479
Sponsored Links
Would you put the red in com on the new switch if you are saying single terminal end sorry was not sure which area was single terminal end

I would put the mew switch upstairs if you could guide me. In relation to wires in L1 L2 Very much appreciated. I have figuered that the red in the L1 in the white switch is the main red to down stairs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 624
OMG it worked you are amazing haha thank you. Does the earthing look on on the metal plate . On previous pic and please could you type the colour codes and area codes for me to add the new switch please if possible. Would the yellow and red go to L1

The earth attaches to the face plate if it is metal.

Just copy this to the new switch:

upload_2019-1-30_22-44-57.png

Do not mix up the lone red.
The others don't matter except Red and Yellow to one side and Red and Blue to the other.

Thank you for your time and expertise. All the good Karma of good will back to you kind person. It is working perfectly am over the moon.

Here's an idea for you Nicola - learn how things work before you decide to fiddle with them.

This time all that went wrong was lights not working properly.

Next time someone might die.

Oh thankyou ban all sheds that was sound advice. am glad am alive and more happier that a positive person helped me out to stay alive.

The point I was trying to make is that you fiddled with your wiring when you didn't know how it worked or what you were doing.

After the event you came and asked for help and ended up following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without any idea as to why.

That really is not a safe basis for doing electrical work.

And if you think I'm saying these things just to score points then you're sadly mistaken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back