2 Way Switch - Coms Connected

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a two gang two way switch. One gang switches two wall lights on and off, the other switches two ceiling lights on and off. I had to remove the switch recently and noted when doing so that the 2 COM sockets (this is a COM, L1, L2 type of switch)were linked with a piece of wire. Unfortunately this is the thing only I\\\'m sure of (having been trying to work this out for the past 4 hours). There are a further two red and two black wires to be positioned. Any guidance on how these should be connected would be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
does either set of lights have a second switch?

if so then you are probablly looking at something like this
old2way.png

I PASTED IN THE WRONG DIAGRAM I HAVE NOW CHANGED IT
if not then there are various possibilitys one of which is that the wall lights were fed from the switch using the earth in place of a neutral (this is not advisable but it does work)

Plugwash,

Thanks for the reply.

Neither the wall nor ceiling lights are connected to any other switch.

Also the earth is connected correctly in the wall box.

There are two sets of wires one comprising red, black and earth.

The second comprises one red and one black.

On the second set the black was unconnected.

Therefore I need to work ou what to do with one red wire and one pair of red and black wires.

Any ideas?

try this:

connect the red from the set in which both red and black were connected to both com terminals

connect the black from that wire to the L1 terminal of one switch

connect the other red to the L2 terminal of the other switch

Sponsored Links
OK, I'll give that a shot tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back