2 way switch help required!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok

Hi all

I have a problem and am confused as to how this worked previously.
I have a 2 way lighting circuit in my house to control a landing light from a downstairs switch and a upstairs switch both are fitted with double 2 way switches.

I am confused as both switches have two cables coming in to them 1 cable upstairs switch feeds the bathroom light and switches it on and off and the other turns the landing light on and off.

Downstairs I have 1 cable that switches the hall on/off and the other cable doesn't seem to do anything.

I am confused as all diagrams I have looked at seem to point to 3 core cable being used in two way switching and I only have 2 core.
This worked before and whatever configuration I use it doesn't seem to work.

Some pointers would be useful

Thanks
:)

Sponsored Links
2-core can be used, as per the very first diagram here: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:two-way-lighting.

I take it it worked before, i.e. the landing light could be switched on and off from either switch?

What have you done with the cable that "doesn't seem to do anything"?

Where does it go - what's at the other end?

Can you post a description/photos of what's at each switch?

2-core can be used, as per the very first diagram here: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:two-way-lighting.

I take it it worked before, i.e. the landing light could be switched on and off from either switch?

What have you done with the cable that "doesn't seem to do anything"?

Where does it go - what's at the other end?

Can you post a description/photos of what's at each switch?

Yes it worked before I had some plastering done and they needed to move the take the sockets off and back on again.

The cable that doesn't do anything is disconnected at the moment, thats what I can't figure out where the other end goes.

I can get photos but here is the info I have when the switch sockets are off

Landing Switch - 2 cables 2Red/2Black 2earth
Hall Switch - 2 cables 2Red/2Black 2 earth

Hall light can be switched on using the Hall Switch
Landing Light cannot be switched on using the Hall Switch -- This is the problem

Landing Switch can switch the bathroom light on
Landing Switch can switch the Landing light on

Hope this info helps!

Sponsored Links
Many old houses would borrow the live feed. If you look at second diagram which BAS has given link to the top wire is always live so in old houses the wire was not used and the live on second switch was borrowed from next door switch.
However this practice caused radio interference and was stopped plus where the upstairs and downstairs lights used a different fuse/mcb also resulted is borrowed neutral as the result it was dis-continued.
Today there is one easy way around the problem see http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...ocation=//catalog01/en_GB&fh_secondid=9686502 but one draw back they will not work with energy saving bulbs due to having built in dimmer.
I did once find manufactures web site and there are double switches and even plug in units for lamp rather than using special ceiling rose but off hand no idea where you can buy them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back