2 way switching problem

Sponsored Links
you'll have to be more specific than just "they don't work"..
don't work how?
not at all, not switching off, not switching on, not switching from one switch if the other is is a certain position etc?

In either case that wiring suggests that the switched live for the landing and hall is carried by a white core. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the landing light had a shared neutral pinched from the upstairs lighting circuit.

The middle photo isn't of much use since it doesn't state which floor it's on - but it does seem that it's feeding another light in parallel..........

Brian needs to get an electrician in - if only to investigate the seeming lack of a cpc for those metalallic fittings.

Lucia

Hi all, the switches do not work at all. Power is on and i have tried to switch both switches but nothing happens. The connector strip in the picture is in the top landing. the white wire u see in the terminal comes from the upstairs switch.

Sponsored Links
Brian dear, you still haven't addressed the issue of the lack of an earth connection to those metallic switches. That ceiling-connector block shows a parallel feed to another light.

You're either having a laugh or you need to contact an electrician. I'm still not convinced that your mum's' handyman' would have fitted those switches without trying them to see if they worked or not.

Lucia.

Come come, BAS. It can't be both.......

If he's not having a laugh, he needs an electrician or a magician.

If he is having a laugh, he needs a physician or a musician.......

Lucia.

Hi all, the switches do not work at all. Power is on and i have tried to switch both switches but nothing happens. The connector strip in the picture is in the top landing. the white wire u see in the terminal comes from the upstairs switch.

Do you mean that the landing light is always off; or always on?

Did the one way switch for the hall work?

Has this 'guy' as you call him worked on other switches/ceiling roses which he may have messed up?

I take it you don't have an earth connection at the switches?
If not all metal switches MUST be replaced with plastic ones IMMEDIATELY.

Like I said, if this guy is allowed to continue then there's too good a chance that sooner or later someone will end up suffering from death.

PLEASE report him to TSO. Not only is he an incompetent w*nker, he is dangerous, and if your MIL lives in England or Wales he has broken the law.

BAS, I'm not convinced that there ever was a "guy" doing that simple swap. I'm also concerned by what you mean about "that guy" having 'broken the law', by which I suppose you mean the blessed P1 "Law"?

Real lawbreakers ought to be reported to the Director of Public Prosecutions and not to the ineffectual Trading Standards bods - you're coming on a bit strong there.

I'm ready with an answer to your indignant and lengthy reply, by the way......

Lucia x

BAS, I'm not convinced that there ever was a "guy" doing that simple swap.
That's what the OP stated - there's no evidence to the contrary, is there?

I'm also concerned by what you mean about "that guy" having 'broken the law', by which I suppose you mean the blesssed P1 "Law"?
That's exactly what I mean - metal accessories and no cpc is not a reasonable provision for safety.

Real lawbreakers ought to be reported to the Director of Public Prosecutions and not to the ineffectual Trading Standards bods - you're coming on a bit strong there.
Members of the public cannot submit cases to the CPS.

BAS, you're such a sweetie! You fall for it every time.........

Lucia x

Hearty congratulations on reaching 25,000 posts BAS, that's quite an achivement!

You're rather quick to come to the boil - if you don't mind my saying so, dear.

Why do you feel such a threat from my attendance on this forum - when I almost always agree with and support your opinions?

You need to lighten-up a little, dear......

Can we get back to the topic now?

Lucia x

You're rather quick to come to the boil - if you don't mind my saying so, dear.
I do mind you saying so in that sickening, simpering, affected way. You make me want to vomit with your "dear"s, and your "darling"s and your "sweetheart"s, and I strongly object to you making me feel nauseous.

Why do you feel such a threat from my attendance on this forum - when I almost always agree with and support your opinions?
I don't feel threatened at all, as I've told you more than once. Why do you think it's acceptable to keep on asserting that I'm not being truthful on that when you have no evidence?

You need to lighten-up a little, dear......
Your persona makes my skin crawl.

Can we get back to the topic now?
It doesn't matter any more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back