2 way switching..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
apologies guys if i have already asked this question.. I have been trying to do that much my head has cabbaged :confused:

I have looked at the reference section regarding 2 way switching... looks pretty straight forward.. From what i can tell, the power from the radial only goes to one switch, and is then fed to the other via the 3 core & earth.

When i went to get the wire from local electrical shop, he said yellow blue and so on has been changed to Brown, Black, Grey..

Can i just allocate a colour to the old ones in what ever order i want ? Or is there a cross reference for the new colours ?

Blue is now black, yellow is now grey and so on..

I would appreciate it if someone could clarify as i was hoping to finish the lighting radial tomorrow..

Cheers peeps,

Once again, sorry if someone as already told me :oops:

Mick...

Sponsored Links
Red is now brown
Yellow is now black
Blue is now grey

In two way switching you will be over-sleeving black and grey as brown though won't you... :p

Will I ? Ok yes will do adam..

I need to get some brown sleeving for where i have used a blue core wire in the ceiling rose :)

I assume this is sometimes un avoidable unless you were to use twin brown wires ? can you get it ? i know you used to be able to get twin red ..

Cheers Adam..

You can get twin brown cable, but most people tend to use brown and blue cable as this means you can use the same drum of cable for both feeds and switch wires. Twin Brown Even though the picture shows brown and blue this is the stuff.

Sponsored Links
John d

Bev was waiting for you all last night.... she even got the kinky underwear out for you...

Dont worry mate you arent missing anything :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back