2 wc's, 1 drain back flowing STUFF!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a 10year old house, bathroom and en-suite wc's are back to back, sharing same drain. Drain runs horizontally left to right with about 600 - 700mm between connections.

WC1 ------- WC2-------- TO EXTERNAL DRAIN

Problem is that wc1 seams to get a back flow from wc2 causing staining in the water and occasionally floating "debris!
wc1 is only used ccassionally while wc2 is mainly used.
Both wc's are on same level with little or no horizontal run in drain pipe.
Only solution is to flush wc1 to keep water in bowl clean!
No space to run separate drains, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you need to check whether your stack is allowing air in to relieve negative pressure.

Is there a stack fitted or does the waste go underground :?:

Worth checking the fall of the discharge pipes too

You need the outlet from each to go downhill, at least say 50mm, before joining the nearly horizontal part.

I think Mac alpine make a flap valve which MAY :confused: help ........I think it`s an anti-rodent valve :)

Sponsored Links
If there is no fall or even worst a back fall from WC2 to WC1 then you need to lift wc1 up to ensure nothing flows the wrong way.

Does WC2 join in with a straight 'T' piece or does it have a curve to it to start the water flowing in the right direction?

-Neil

Thanks for all the info guys, there is some boxing in around the WC's, Im planning to strip it out tonight and have a good look at the arrangement of the falls etc.
some factI do know are:
- The drain has a vent stack that goes up to the roof.
- I think there is little fall if any between WC1 and WC2.
- not sure if WC2 joins in a T, one of the things I will check. if so I thought a swept T would work better, its difficult for things to flow back round the swept T!!

I will post more info once I check. Thanks Again.

id go with nige f's suggestion.i had a similar problem with a clients house, put the mc alpine anti rodent flaps.ben working fine since.

jay1 said:
id go with nige f's suggestion.i had a similar problem with a clients house, put the mc alpine anti rodent flaps.ben working fine since.
Glad you`ve actually tried it ;) I`m a virtual plumber nowadays :LOL: but I like to throw in the odd idea or two.......(odd being the operative word :eek: )

:D Success!
The McAlpine Anti Cross-Flow Rodent Barrier Valve works!
Thanks guys, this was a great solution to this problem. I thought I'd have to rip out all the drains and reset the falls etc.
A very messy and costly process, I would think!. :mad:

I had to buy a new straight connector since the one fitted had a molded in seal. Total cost was less than £20. £13.25 for McAlpine valve from Drain Centre after the guy at the Glasgow depot gave me a cash discout and £6.49 for pan connector (had to go to local Homebase since didn't discover I needed the pan connector till I stripped it all out!)
Total time for the job under 2 hours, including going to Homebase for the connector! Result - a nice clean toilet when I checked this morning. :D
Thanks again for all the help.

Hi

Can anyone advise me what to do if the toilet needs to be flushed twice since I have fitted the ARB-1.

The water level rise high in the pan and slowly drains away.
If there is a hard material then it seems to go faster.

Does anyone knows the direct number for mcalpine?

Thank You

Peter

That is true that I have just a litlle fall from the toilets on the first 1 .5 meter. approx 2.5 cm on 100 cm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back