2 x 135° bends in a horizontal soil pipe run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to find a solution for replacing a Saniflo in an ensuite bedroom. It's a biggish, late Victorian house, and I need to get the soil pipe from the front to the back of the house. I can run the first part of the pipe in the floor as the joists run the right way, but for the second section the joists run the other way so I need to drop down and run under the joists. This section will be in an already boxed in area (the top of some built in cupboards) so won't be visable, and if I run the first section in the floor there will be no ugly boxing in in the room below, and no need to disturb the ceiling which hopefully will mean less noise transference when the loo above is used.

So, is it a big no-no to have a horizontal (well, with an appropriate fall) section, then 2 x 135° bends to lower the pipe and then another horizontal run? I know it's not ideal, but it's the best route I can find for a 4" pipe through the house.

Attachments

• pipe run.png
    pipe run.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 163
Sponsored Links
I'm trying to find a solution for replacing a Saniflo in an ensuite bedroom. It's a biggish, late Victorian house, and I need to get the soil pipe from the front to the back of the house. I can run the first part of the pipe in the floor as the joists run the right way, but for the second section the joists run the other way so I need to drop down and run under the joists. This section will be in an already boxed in area (the top of some built in cupboards) so won't be visable, and if I run the first section in the floor there will be no ugly boxing in in the room below, and no need to disturb the ceiling which hopefully will mean less noise transference when the loo above is used.

So, is it a big no-no to have a horizontal (well, with an appropriate fall) section, then 2 x 135° bends to lower the pipe and then another horizontal run? I know it's not ideal, but it's the best route I can find for a 4" pipe through the house.

It's fine. Go ahead. Just make sure you use solvent weld and use plenty of it on both male and female parts of each joint. You gotta do, what you gotta do!
Don't forget to put in an access elbow or T where it exits the exterior wall though.

Thanks both.

If you're concerned about noise - google noise reducing plastic soil pipes(y)

I must admit I was considering using some, but it's not that easy to get hold of. I looked at the Marley dBlue, and the Wavin stuff as well. Does it make a significant difference? Was going to shove some dense (60kg/m²) acoustic slab wherever I can around ordinary pipe, but would definitely be interested in the acoustic stuff if it's any good.

Sponsored Links
Not worth the extra IMO!
Just pack some insulation in there and you'll soon become domestically deaf to it :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back