Horizontal soil pipe run between joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey is it ok to connect run a soil pipe horizontally between joists with the toilet discharging in to a tee as shown in this picture. Or is an elbow needed so the waste definitely goes the right way?

Sponsored Links
Discharge into a Tee is OK. I have refitted a fairly new house bathroom that was plumbed in that way and there were no old or new problems

But if you have enough space I think the 135 tee with a 45 bend is better

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/uPVC-Soil-Pipe-110mm-Y-Branch-White-/110392247034

Even better if the 135 Tee can be laid flat with the bath joining on the branch and the WC via a 90 degree into the main line.

Can the bath be run parallel to the Soil pipe to join the stack separately and so avoid the junction?

The only other comment I would make is that I try to use solvent weld fittings in such concealed spaces as they are more fit and forget with no ring seal issues to worry about in the future. If you must use ring seal then adequate support should be made to ensure the more flexible jointed system cannot "settle" and create a problem later.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
there is a possibility of laying the tee flat and putting a singled ended elbow in to the tee. It's just a standard tee branch I have in, not a 135 degree tee. Is discharging straight in to a standard tee branch laid horizontally as shown in the picture ok?

its fine, dont over think it, and forget the 135 ideas... fitted literally 100's of stacks like that (new builds so NHBC inspected and drain tested)

Think about it the water isnt going to run up hill then jump 40mm so and to get into the bath waste (that will enter center of the 110mm socket) then run uphill again when the other option is to run down a 110mm tube....

Sponsored Links
newgasinstaller Good to hear it is common practice will no problems.

Like the OP I had reservations about dropping soil waste on a vertical junction where it seemed there could be a risk of it not flowing away and you might then rely on the flow from the bath to flush away any potential deposits. It certainly was working OK in the small House I refitted where it was the only bathroom and so the bath /shower was in regular use.

its fine, dont over think it, and forget the 135 ideas... fitted literally 100's of stacks like that (new builds so NHBC inspected and drain tested)

Think about it the water isnt going to run up hill then jump 40mm so and to get into the bath waste (that will enter center of the 110mm socket) then run uphill again when the other option is to run down a 110mm tube....

Thanks for the reply, I was worried about it settling in the tee and not flowing away.

if you dropped a turd dry in the tee it wouldnt go anywhere, add a cistern full of water to it and away it goes ;)

if you dropped a turd dry in the tee it wouldnt go anywhere, add a cistern full of water to it and away it goes ;)

:D I understand the BRE are now going to ask for volunteers to donate samples to test this theory as soon as they have a transparent sample of the fittings available ;)

So as long as I have enough angle on the tee, but not too much so the pipe isn't coming up square? Then strap band it in place tightly to stop it ever sagging.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back