Toiler macerator - Horizontal run first?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to install a macerator in an underground room. I need to pump the waste up to a 4" soil pipe at ceiling level but, because of ceiling joists and the position of the existing soil pipe, I will struggle to do my vertical run first, as I know you are supposed to do. Running the horizontal waste pipe to a point underneath the soil pipe, and then running vertically will be a much easier installation.

I need to run 3m horizontal and then 2.5m vertical.

Is this a good idea? Or even a vaguely acceptable idea?

Failing that, is a diagonal run a completely ridiculous idea?

Sponsored Links
I'm looking to install a macerator in an underground room. I need to pump the waste up to a 4" soil pipe at ceiling level but, because of ceiling joists and the position of the existing soil pipe, I will struggle to do my vertical run first, as I know you are supposed to do. Running the horizontal waste pipe to a point underneath the soil pipe, and then running vertically will be a much easier installation.

I need to run 3m horizontal and then 2.5m vertical.

Is this a good idea? Or even a vaguely acceptable idea?

Failing that, is a diagonal run a completely ridiculous idea?
Better chance of it working with the diagonal the other way is asking too much.

I think the makers recommend the vertical first but if that's no good then I'd go with just pumps he's quite an authority on these things.Bob

I think the makers recommend the vertical first but if that's no good then I'd go with just pumps he's quite an authority on these things.Bob

You are right Bob vertical first and as near to the pump as possible on all macerators, it is only recently that they have allowed the diagonal route. In this case the 3m H & 2.5m V would kill any pump quickly.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I am aware that the vertical should be first... I might investigate mounting it diagonally

Alternatively, I could move the macerator around the room and pump vertically into the waste and have practically no horizontal section. I would need to extend the soil pipe out of the back of the toilet around the room to meet the macerator in the new position, but that might make a better job of it. I don't see there being an issue with doing that but I've never installed (or even used) a macerator before. Any opinions on that idea?

16ft of pressurised excrement to dig around in When it blocks,not if.

Thanks guys. I am aware that the vertical should be first... I might investigate mounting it diagonally

Alternatively, I could move the macerator around the room and pump vertically into the waste and have practically no horizontal section. I would need to extend the soil pipe out of the back of the toilet around the room to meet the macerator in the new position, but that might make a better job of it. I don't see there being an issue with doing that but I've never installed (or even used) a macerator before. Any opinions on that idea?
Remember the macerator should be close to the outlet spigot of the pan or increase the fall of the pipe, in your case 3m is too much.

Modern Society.Cant take the truth.Snowflake generation
Now to some posts I might be inclined to agree with you dp however not towards me thank you very much as the odds are I`m older than you o_O
What have I ever done to you or looking back at your very recent posts have you just become a bitter person?

Remember the macerator should be close to the outlet spigot of the pan or increase the fall of the pipe, in your case 3m is too much.
Is this simply to ensure there is sufficient fall between the toilet and macerator? It won't be too difficult for me to increase the fall a little because I am installing a raised floor.

Now to some posts I might be inclined to agree with you dp however not towards me thank you very much as the odds are I`m older than you o_O
What have I ever done to you or looking back at your very recent posts have you just become a bitter person?
What are you on about.I am making a comment based on my past knowledge of macerators.You disagree.nothing personal.you disagree.great.Maybe you not dug around in as many macerators as I have.No idea.Nothing to do with age,me being bitter etc.Thumbs down based on what exactly...You never had a blocked macerator?you think they a great invention?

What are you on about.I am making a comment based on my past knowledge of macerators.You disagree.nothing personal.you disagree.great.Maybe you not dug around in as many macerators as I have.No idea.Nothing to do with age,me being bitter etc.Thumbs down based on what exactly...You never had a blocked macerator?you think they a great invention?

As you say nothing personal until you posted "Modern society, Can`t take truth, Snowflake generation" as your cheap comment comeback all of which is about as far from the truth as you could get regarding me.
I`ve either serviced, unblocked & repaired or replaced 3 - 5 a day for the last +18yrs making good money where as your comments lead me to believe you`re just another who believes everything they read.
FYI I advise Go mains if you can and where you can`t then use it as it is designed to be used.
Hoping this puts this little Tit for Tat to sleep now. (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back