Macerators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to install a macerator in a small toilet in a loft conversion. It needs to take waste from the WC and from a small basin.

I need to ensure that noise is kept to a minimum, but power is not especially important as the device will only need to pump horizontally for 2-3 metres, then the pipework drops vertically to a spigot on the side of the soil pipe.

Saniflo seem to be the most popular amongst trade and other sellers, but they do seem to be rather expensive. I have found others, especially some from Germany, but I have no idea of noise or reliability, warranty cover etc.

Can someone give me recommendations based on personal experience please.

Regards,

Alan.

Sponsored Links
Can't you use a soil pipe, run from existing soil pipe to new toilet?

Daniel.

No, due to the amount of total disruption to the ground floor toilet which leads directly into the soil pipe with a bend, not a tee. There is no vent pipe, or it would be easy. The properties were built with every other one having an inspection chamber and the neighbouring property leading into it. We have the inspection chamber, next door has the vent pipe.

macerators are great .....till they break down, then your left with a plastic box full of **** and pipes full of ****, there are not many plumbers that will deal with that without a hefty charge if at all, if your going to diy your own breakdowns I hope you got a strong stomach.

Sponsored Links
macerators are great .....till they break down, then your left with a plastic box full of **** and pipes full of ****, there are not many plumbers that will deal with that without a hefty charge if at all, if your going to diy your own breakdowns I hope you got a strong stomach.
No big deal apart from the inconvenience (pardon the pun).
I've dealt with worse and I have a very good respirator! :LOL:

macerators are great .....till they break down, then your left with a plastic box full of **** and pipes full of ****,.
Not only that but if the box is full and the pump isn't working where does the next flush go to. It overflows..

The ones that sit behind the pan are a real pain behind the AR5E ( pun intended ).

If you can go by 4 inch to a collection tank with macerator and pump that can take several flushes before the tank is half full at which point the pump starts then you will have a far better system.

We had a pumped sewage system ( Mono Mutrator 8 ) at the last house. 30 years good service. A couple of blockages when cloth was flushed down a toilet. Even in open air the "parfume" from the tank is a bit strong.

EDIT I should mention the system was concealed in a rustic wishing well in the garden

A friend had a compact unit behind the pan and after about a year he had the whole lot removed.

If the unit is fitted correctly and people are mindful that it is not to be used for anything more then intended, then it's a handy bit of kit.
Feed it plastic or anything other then loo paper= trouble

What, exactly, is the problem with the existing system? Could a vent or AAV be provided, (you're in the roofspace already so cant the pipe be extended through the roof?)

Dan and I both have strong views about those things, they (IMO) are not fit for purpose, but (obviously) the manufacturers aren't going to mention that in their sales literature! Simple rule is nothing through the macerator that hasn't already been through you (other than tissue) but a lot of women, sadly, cant seem to comprehend this and then disaster strikes..... :rolleyes:

What, exactly, is the problem with the existing system? Could a vent or AAV be provided, (you're in the roofspace already so cant the pipe be extended through the roof?)

Dan and I both have strong views about those things, they (IMO) are not fit for purpose, but (obviously) the manufacturers aren't going to mention that in their sales literature! Simple rule is nothing through the macerator that hasn't already been through you (other than tissue) but a lot of women, sadly, cant seem to comprehend this and then disaster strikes..... :rolleyes:

I don't have a problem with 'strong views, but insinuating that I'm a ******** is not acceptable.

There is unlikely to be a problem with foreign objects as the loo will be in my 'domain' and the only other person likely to use it is my wife who has no need of 'foreign objects'. :)

The problem with a large soil pipe is the fitting at almost ground level. From the ground floor WC is a 4" horizontal plastic soil pipe straight into a 90 degree bend which is concreted into the ground and connected to another bend below ground into the inspection chamber. To connect anything to the short downpipe (the elbow) with anything other than a 32/40mm adaptor into a side spigot would mean disturbing the inspection chamber and the surrounding ground as well as the toilet wall, to replace the bend with a Tee.
Believe me, if that was a viable option I would do it, especially as it would be many times less cost than buying a macerator and wiring for it.

Only a total ******** would think installing one of these abominations was a good idea.

Nobody needs a spare bog that much.
Is it really necessary to promote your opinion by being so f*cking rude?

Yes

Verily.,.

You wait until you've had to unravel remains of a minced up jam rag and condom from one.

And as for being rude? I ain't the one swearing :p

Click here to be educated.

macerators are great .....till they break down, then your left with a plastic box full of **** and pipes full of ****,.
Not only that but if the box is full and the pump isn't working where does the next flush go to. It overflows..

A good point, I will take care in siting.

The ones that sit behind the pan are a real pain behind the a**e ( pun intended ).
I have space behind the toilet outside the wall where access will be easy.

Used correctly and it should give good service. If it's possible, fit a full bore drain valve rather then just capping off the drain of the unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back