20% pay cut for working from home. Would you take it?

I doubt this proposal will fly.

Most companies/industries are struggling to retain and recruit staff, so I doubt they’d employ such tactics to drive staff away.

I cant imagine many sensible companies would adopt such a strategy unless they are really struggling financially…it’ll put a proper nail in the coffin.

In my opinion, many people can be efficient working from home, but only with human interaction can teams and businesses be effective… in many case personal efficiency comes at the sacrifice of other element of the business (teamworking, knowledge sharing, training,etc)

Hybrid working is the future if you drive a desk :D

Sponsored Links
Contracts usually say if you are office based, home based or a mobile worker and benefits will be oriented around that.

I’m home based but like going in to the office a couple of days a week.

We have office space commitments so decided to give free food as an incentive to get people back in the habit of coming in.

I personally would not take a 20% cut.

What I'm noticing, and it's perhaps unfair to use a broad brush, is many small business aren't inclined to promote WFH, whereas more (not all) medium to large businesses are. A mate of mine has recently accepted employment from a medium sized company where they now operate a WFH model, going into the office one day every third week. The place he left didn't operate WFH and when they said 'can we do anything to retain you?' he mentioned the WFH and it was a non-starter. I know categorically my mate is a hard conscientious worker who will maintain that ethos when WFH. The place he's left has lost a hard to replace employee due to not being as forward thinking. Although tbh it wasn't just the WFH aspect.

Some people equate 'productivity' to being 'in the office.' The link can be tenuous at best, again depending on the sector and of course the individuals.

Good managers should be able to monitor productivity whether staff are WFH or not.

Let me give you a scenario. Let's say two employees doing the same job are responsible for producing x widgets per working week. Employee A goes into the office Mon-Fri 9-5, never leaves their desk. They produce 10 widgets on average per week. Employee B works from home, Mon-Fri 9-5. However each day, in addition to scheduled breaks, they take a 10 min walk around their garden in the morning and are away from their WFH desk mid afternoon for 20 mins to go and collect the kids off the school bus. They then take another 10 min walk around the garden before 'clocking off.' They produce 12 widgets on average per week.
As i said before, have you heard anyone comment, anecdotally, on how they've received much better service from a company since working from home was introduced?

Your focus is on the employee's welfare, not the effectiveness of the person working from home or the service they provide and your 'what iffery' scenario is is irrelevent unless its based on reality.

At the end of the day, the employer doesn't exist to provide employment. It exists to provide goods or services that people want or need. When that gets forgotten its not long before the employer's organisation isn't efficient and they start taking steps to correct that. EG the passport office, HMRC, Apple, Google, or the company that stimulated the creation of this thread.

Sponsored Links
Joe earns 100 grand working in London and lives in South Woodford .... Now Works from home..... decides to move to Doncaster. Buys same size house for less than half the money.......

Joe then decides to move to France and buy an even cheaper house...

How long will it be for Joe's employer to think I can replace Joe with someone in India for ¾ of the cost.

The company my son works for now rents 1 floor of office space compared with 3 before working from home was introduced. They have recently changed things but not sure how many people are concerned. My son now has to spend one day a week in the office. That may mean they need more floors - pass, I don't know but not mentioned. No pay cut in his case.

Joe earns 100 grand working in London and lives in South Woodford .... Now Works from home..... decides to move to Doncaster. Buys same size house for less than half the money.......

How long will it be for Joe's employer to think I can replace Joe with someone in India for ¾ of the cost.
That's already been happening in various sectors for (20+?) years, so nothing to do with covid. If industries have a working model that can accommodate out-sourcing the labour to cheaper countries, they'll do that if they so desire whether their UK based staff are working in the office or from home.

I don't think that's unfair at all. I think businesses are starting to realise that working from home is much less productive than they initially thought it would be

I think that largely depends on the type of job.

quite a few companies have saved huge amounts of money by ditching city centre office space.

As i said before, have you heard anyone comment, anecdotally, on how they've received much better service from a company since working from home was introduced?

Your focus is on the employee's welfare, not the effectiveness of the person working from home or the service they provide and your 'what iffery' scenario is is irrelevent unless its based on reality.

At the end of the day, the employer doesn't exist to provide employment. It exists to provide goods or services that people want or need. When that gets forgotten its not long before the employer's organisation isn't efficient and they start taking steps to correct that. EG the passport office, HMRC, Apple, Google, or the company that stimulated the creation of this thread.
Nope, because I interact with other humans as little as possible ;) And let's face it, considering we're referring to WFH, better staff moral and productivity won't necessarily be directly felt by the general public, not in any obvious measurable way because staff WFH are often in non customer facing roles. Unless referring to employees we interact with over the phone (e.g. call centre staff) most people in customer facing roles aren't WFH.

Why shouldn't a portion of my focus be on employee welfare? Employers don't exist to provide employment? Eh?!? Without employees most organisations wouldn't exist. Organisations are a sum of their human resource parts. And if you look back, you'll see I do mention productivity more than once.

If places like the Passport Office are noticing a diminishing level of productivity in their WFH staff, that's down to poor ineffective management. Just the same as poor ineffective management not getting 100% out of people that are office based ;)

More like 1/10th of the cost and 1/3 of the quality

The chap who lives at No10 Downing st - he parties works from home

dock his wages 20%

It's like you've discovered the 1990s. :D

It's like you've discovered the 1990s. :D

Not exactly. Those working from overseas would work from an office based overseas. Hence they travel to the office in Deli not working from home.. see the difference :D

employment law, pay and conditions are very much on topic.
Off topic. The thread is a question. Have a stab at it instead of the Tories for a change. Simple question, would you or wouldn't you. It's not a hard one either - it's not as if I'm asking you to confirm or deny that your location was shown as Greenock when you made your hundred trips a year to East London claim. :whistle:

Sponsored Links
Back