2003 Toyota Rav4 Died in Busy Intersection.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2003 Rav4 (140,000 miles) that was recently rear ended. (10 to 15 mph collision). It started and drove away from the wreck with no issues. The next morning after dropping off kids, it died in the middle of a busy intersection with no warning. Cranks but hasn't started since.

I've pulled the back seat, listened for fuel pump sounds with key on but nothing. Metered the 5 pin connector and have 11v on 2 pins (battery is slightly down from trying to start it). And, 8.8v on the other 2. See pic. Not sure of the actual pin numbers...just there for visual reference.

Not sure what the other connector/wires on the pump do or should read. See pic.

Anything else I should check before replacing the pump? I thought I would pull it, air dry it and use a 12v bench test supply to see if it runs out of the truck.

Peace,
Mark

5pin.jpg

other.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would think that at least one of the 8v pins should be at earth potential otherwise you only have about 4v across the pump and it won't, work like that, follow the 8v leads and see if they go to earth, if so you have a poor connection.

Peter

I would think that at least one of the 8v pins should be at earth potential otherwise you only have about 4v across the pump and it won't, work like that, follow the 8v leads and see if they go to earth, if so you have a poor connection.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Just in case those voltages are spurious, I'd check the crash sensor under the hood to see if its deployed......probably way off beam as usual :p
John :)

Thanks for the replies.

I rechecked everything this morning. Not sure why I didn't check it yesterday but pins 3 and 5 that showed 11v also show continuity to ground when metered to a seat bolt going thru the floor pan. Same when metered together. So, a more accurate way of looking at it is that pin 2 shows 11v when metered to ground.

This morning, I can't get any voltage on 1 and 4 except trace 0.02v readings when metered to pin 2. Looking at the top of the connector (pic), pin one isn't even connected. 3 and 5 still show 11v when metered to pin 2. Same as before.

I've downloaded a service manual for this vehicle but it doesn't have a chapter on the fuel system. Anyone know of a pin out diagram for this connector?

top.jpg

Thanks again,
Mark

Where would this be located? In the relay/fuse box perhaps?

Thanks,
Mark

EDIT: Just did some reading on crash sensors and they appear to have more to do with frontal impact and airbag deployment. Unless there's another type I'm missing.

Just in case those voltages are spurious, I'd check the crash sensor under the hood to see if its deployed......probably way off beam as usual :p

I removed the PVC hose, propped the throttle open and sprayed in some starting fluid. Replaced the hose and tried to start but no luck.

What's the safest way to check for spark?

Mark

Starting fluid, if it's ether based, is not guaranteed to start a petrol engine, or even make it fire.
If you want to check for a spark, lay each plug on the engine metalwork and then crank it over. If need be, tape each plug down so that it can't shift, and look for a spark in the dark.

Thanks! Too dangerous to try the same start technique with a bit of gasoline?

I'll try the spark plugs next.

Mark

Starting fluid, if it's ether based, is not guaranteed to start a petrol engine, or even make it fire.
If you want to check for a spark, lay each plug on the engine metalwork and then crank it over. If need be, tape each plug down so that it can't shift, and look for a spark in the dark.

Just tested the EFI relay. It seems good.

Continuity across pins 1 & 2. None across 3 & 5. Energized the coil with 12v across 1 & 2 and heard the contacts close. With coil closed, had continuity across 3 & 5. Reinstalled it.

Mark

Where would this be located? In the relay/fuse box perhaps?

Thanks,
Mark

EDIT: Just did some reading on crash sensors and they appear to have more to do with frontal impact and airbag deployment. Unless there's another type I'm missing.

Your looking for the inertia switch, it should be visible in the engine bay and have a rubber cover over the button. If its been activated you will hear it click when you press it.
You may not see the 12 volt signal at the pump until cranking so worth checking again with someone helping.

If it's in there, it's doing a fine job of hiding. Looked for a good half hour and didn't see anything like you described. Being an '03 it may not have one.

The Rav drove away from the wreck, the rest of that day and then died after driving for about 20 mins the following morning.

Time will tell.

Thanks for the reply,
Mark

Your looking for the inertia switch, it should be visible in the engine bay and have a rubber cover over the button. If its been activated you will hear it click when you press it.
You may not see the 12 volt signal at the pump until cranking so worth checking again with someone helping.

I picked up an rental Actron AutoScanner Plus from Autozone and it showed the following code.

Their PDF of codes shows:

P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor A - Bank 1 Circuit Malfunction

I'm guessing that as "hooked up" as these cars are, it's probably keeping the fuel pump from running as well. Possible? Does this mean it's a bad sensor or the dreaded timing belt replacement scenario?

readout.jpg

Peace,
Mark

Sponsored Links
Back