2004 Bora TDI rear caliper repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New piston, seal and weather shield needed so either a repair kit from somewhere like Big Red or a caliper from the scrappy.

Its a 41mm bore piston.

Are there any other VW models, possibly Golf, with same rear caliper if there's no Boras in the scrappy?

ndtreu.jpg

Sponsored Links
That one is in a bad way.....why not go for an exchange caliper at a motor factors? At least the bleed nipple will work which can't be guaranteed on a scrapper.
I pay around £60 on average, I think.
I can't comment on compatibility with other models but I can confirm that the pads tend to be the same.
John :)

Thanks John.

I'll look around tomorrow.

There's quite a selection on ebay just need to be sure of the 41mm bore piston.

One thing that bothered me. I wired brushed the piston and was going to refit as a temp measure until I got sorted with parts.

The piston wouldn't screw back in, basically swiveled about the screw spindle but wouldn't screw on. Maybe need to remove the caliper from the pipe flexi and do it on a bench rather than when fitted on the car.

This fella has no bother getting the piston back in -

Sponsored Links
Some pistons screw back in without any pressure at all, and some need a lot of pressure from the retractor tool.
For sure, I've never found out why but I suspect it's to do with how much grip the seal has on the piston.

I've opted for the repair kit since the rest of the caliper is working.

Got the kit for Big Red brakes so good quality.

I presume the center threaded spindle in the piston bore is meant to be fixed, not rotate?

With the caliper stripped, the piston bore and o ring channels are in too bad a state for a repair kit so I've ordered a new TRW brand caliper.

When I checked a few weeks back , the N/S was still canny but will check again.

I had trouble winding mine back a few months ago and one of the dust seals was torn so i decided to replace both rears as a pair.

The piston was obviously damaged when the pads were changed.

Also, I don't think the weather boot was the proper one. Its a larger diameter than the groove in the piston bore which would explain why its wasn't seated in and pulled out.

Anyway brand new caliper on its way and a new pipe from VW ready to collect.

It looks like someone has been trying to turn the piston with some slip joint pliers.....it's the only way that such damage could occur.

New TRW caliper and VW pipe fitted, pads bedded in with Ceretec grease

and the brakes are well again.

thanks for the postings Gents.

Sponsored Links
Back