2004 Ford Ka whining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently bought 2004 Ford Ka. Few small issues but nothing major. Last day or two noticed a whine when in lower gears/slower speeds, and occasionally when idle. Whine similar to reversing whine. Have a small oil leak but unsure whether that would be an issue? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The whine is evident whether or not the car is moving, I gather?
My first step would be to remove the alternator belt and start the engine - just to see if the noise disappears.
Try and determine where the oil leak is from.....give us a photo if you aren't sure.
John :)

Thanks Burnerman. The whine seems to recede further into a journey, but when it is happening it tends to be when accelerating in lower gears or sporadically when stationary but in gear. Will try and get a picture of leak tomorrow in better light

A little confusing but here's a couple of ideas...
Car stationary, at idle - whine starts when clutch is pedal depressed - maybe clutch release bearing
Coasting down hill in neutral - maybe differential bearings in the gearbox
Whining increases when cornering - wheel bearings.
As you see, there are a few possibilities but here's a start.....it's still a good idea to remove the alternator belt and try again.....this removes possible items such as the alternator, air con compressor ( if fitted) and the water pump - depending on which engine is fitted.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure there is a level / filler plug on the front.....let's see where the leak is from. My guess it's from the driveshaft seals but if the level is very low then who knows what the outcome will be. So long as it doesn't jump out of gear etc!
Actually I made an arse of my last post - on depressing the clutch pedal the release bearing quietens down, but on the other hand it can reduce backlash in the gearbox input shaft although the forces are tiny.

Back