200kWh gas per day!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks,

We moved into a new (old) place about 5 months ago. It has a Worcester 37CDi combi boiler but with very old rads (which are soon to be replaced).

I just got my gas bill from 20 Dec - 12 Feb, 54 days and it's £406!! The average use is 200kWh/day.

Now the house is pretty poorly insulated - solid walls and not much in the loft (loft is being done).

My wife and 2 girls are at home all day so the heating is pretty much constantly on from 5AM - 11PM. At the moment we can't let the temp go below 18 at night because it will never get back up to 21 the next day.

It's obvious that I need more insulation - just wondered what others thought who live in similar houses - is this excessive or about right?

Sponsored Links
Bearing in mind we are in the winter then thats about what you should expect to pay.

You probably heat the bedrooms during the day too!

Maybe no TRVs anywhere?

Loft insulation ?? 350mm think ???

Tony

Thanks Tony

Yup - you're dead right.

Loft insulation is patchy - 100mm in places, about 50mm in others. That should be done soon. No TRVs anywhere (that's being done next week).

I am hoping that when new rads are installed things should get better - at the moment some of the rads have no fins so are boiling to the touch but useless at heating the air, so the house is chilly, even for £7/day heating cost. Hopefully the new rads (double convectors) should heat up the place much quicker, so we can actually let the house get cooler overnight.

Sponsored Links
Don't let Alec read this, but zoning your bedrooms off with separate controls might help. If you don't want to do the fully, then look at the Pegler iTemp valve heads.

Or just turn the rads off when you have dressed and ready to go downstairs!

Of course we will shortly learn that the WC will cure everything!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back