How much can gas usage vary?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, I know, how long is a piece of string....

Here's my problem. We have been in this house (4-bed detached, 3 reception rooms) for just over a year. During the Sep-Dec quarter last year, the gas consumption averaged 6.6 units per day (73 kWh). From Dec-Feb and Feb to May, we used 9.7 and 9.3 units per day respectively (108 and 104 kWh). Then during the summer... when, like most people, the central heating was off and the only gas used was hot water and occasionally the hob - the average was 13.5 units per day, or 150 kWh.

I have been in repeated discussion with our supplier, and have taken daily readings for nearly 2 weeks now. The number of units used per day goes: 6, 4, 14, 109, 7, 4, 4, 33, 33, 15. When I was reeling off the numbers to one call centre operator, she tried to tell me that the 109 was beause it was a weekend... now as it happens the comment was irrelevant because the weather has not been cool enough that we have wanted to turn the heating on any longer than the programmed hours (7-9am and 4.30-10.30pm) HW is on for 2hrs in the morning and 1 in the evening.

But, but..... is there any way that an ordinary household could burn 4 units of gas one day and 109 the next? The boiler (and the house) is 10 years old, a Gloworm Ultimate, and the only specification I can find is a plate that gives some capacities, it says the maximum heat input is 21.9 kW.

My maths says 109 units (meters squared) is around 1200 kWh, and if I divide that by the 22 kW max input to the boiler I get 54 hours full on to burn that amount of gas.....

I have paid for the meter to be removed and checked. I just hope it's faulty, cos otherwise I can see no explanation for why we are using so much more gas now than last year (and more in the summer than the winter!!!) with no changes to household, appliances or lifestyle.

Wisdom gratefully received,
Barbara

Sponsored Links
sounds very strange! either you are mistaken or faulty meter I would suggest. Might be worth getting your boiler serviced too.

The boiler gas regulator may not be shutting off , so gas is still escaping from the boiler. Had one off these last week customer complaing about the gas bills going sky high. I went to change the meter, hade 10mbrs every ten second leaking out somewhere. Changed the the meter and the regulator. Carried out another test still the same, they have a serious gas leak some where, they cant smell gas suggested it could be the boiler gas valve. Then capped off the meter.

Sponsored Links
You would not smell it if you have a sealed boiler. The gas would go strait out the flue to the out side.

Thanks for the suggestions, will investigate. BTW, today's usage was 1 unit....a zillion percent up on yesterday's, which was 0 (despite us having heating and HW on the same number of hours each day). Wherever the fault is, it is weird.

Barbara

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back