excessive gas usage

J

joanna2626

Hello
I hope you can help me. I just got a high bill for the gas which is 190 pounds for 3 months(it's never been that high). Recently our boiler was broken but our landlord fixed it. But since the the boiler wasn't working properly going on for 30 sec and then off all the time. We 've checked our meter reading and it looks that we used 2000 kwh in 2 weeks. is that possible? that is 146kwh a day!! we live in 2 bedroom flat and we both working full time so the boiler is working only 4-5 hrs a day. Is it normal that when the boiler is working that the meter reader is running like crazy?

Sponsored Links
Credit Meter 24 hours 12/02/2013 Estimate 2631 194
Credit Meter 24 hours 02/11/2012 company 2437 19
Credit Meter 24 hours 23/10/2012 Customer 2418 26
Credit Meter 24 hours 12/08/2012 Estimate 2392 70
Credit Meter 24 hours 20/04/2012 company 2322 106

That the last few months gas usage. So its not possible that we've used 184 cubi meters in 2 weeks!!! IS IT?

no, thats not normal. Could be a number of issues. The inlet gas pressure to the boiler may be set incorrectly, the burner pressure on boiler may also need to be adjusted. If the boiler is properly comissioned and serviced you shouldnt get these problems.

Not likely but you may also have a faulty meter. Contact national grid or your gas supplier and keep on at them, until they get someone out to check it out. It has been known for gas meters to over supply gas and if this is the case they will change the meter.

What is the make and model of boiler? It may be an inefficient older boiler

its Radiant MOD RSF 20E, but i just checked that it also has been tested in 1999!!! we live in private rented house so the landlord should be responsible for it isn't?

Sponsored Links
2 quid a day doesn't sound super high in the winter, depends on the property's heat loss.
But first are you can't be reading the meter right, it won't be 146 kWhr for £2.
See here
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=797581#797581

We need to quantify it - "running like crazy " doesn't really help!
Tell us the model of boiler and we can go from there.
How many rads?
Have you had a "Landlords Gas Safety Check" recently? Should be annually.

I expect your meter is cubic feet???

Lets get it right . I've checked that since last reading on12/2/13 we've used 184 cubi meters which is about 2000 kwh is that right? And no we didn't have a gas ckeck since we moved in which was 3 years ago!!! And when i mean runing like crazy :) i mean it's going fast

Lets get it right . I've checked that since last reading on12/2/13 we've used 184 cubi meters which is about 2000 kwh is that right? And no we didn't have a gas ckeck since we moved in which was 3 years ago!!! And when i mean runing like crazy :) i mean it's going fast

NO GAS CHECK IN 3 YEARS?!!!! Thats illegal. Landlord safety certs must be done for all gas appliances every year. :eek: Is your landlord letting through a proper lettings agency or is he doing in privately, "off the record" so to speak?

I'd get on his case immediately, gas appliances not serviced and checked can potetially have fatal consequences.

Assuming you've done it right that means you were using 24kw an hour at the time of the test, not every two minutes. (Your faq needs clarifying on that chris).
What make and model is your boiler?

Which is a combi and easily capable of using that amount of gas on it's own.
Where you running hot water at the time? Or was the central heating warming up?

Credit Meter 24 hours 02/11/2012 company 2437 19
Credit Meter 24 hours 23/10/2012 Customer 2418 26
Credit Meter 24 hours 12/08/2012 Estimate 2392 70
Credit Meter 24 hours 20/04/2012 company 2322 106
Don't understand what those number represent! Are they meter readings or what?

What does "24 hours" mean?

What is the current meter reading?

What, and when, was the last actual (not estimated) reading.

Does the meter still move if you turn all gas appliances off?
Does the meter still move if you turn the main gas tap off at the meter?

That's just an estimate!

Have you recently provided them with an actual reading? If so, the large bill could be a correction because they under-estimated your usage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back