2011 Ford Ka Rear Lights not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughters Ka had a rear light out, passenger side, had it replaced along with the driver rear. Now neither light comes on. Brake and indicators both fine. When the lights are turned on the bulbs illuminate briefly and then go out so I know the bulbs are good. Checked fuse and that’s intact. Any ideas on how to fix easily, no idea about cars or is it a garage trip? The dash now also has the warning light illuminated for running lights problem ‍

Sponsored Links
I went to Halfords and they fitted for me they were Ringpro bulbs. The one that wasn’t working that they removed was the wrong bulb to start with!

Sponsored Links
No I don’t think so, just standard bulbs

Check the handbook and be sure the correct lamp bulbs are fitted, as a first step, and if that doesn't fix it, try disconnecting the battery for a while to reset things. Hopefully you know the radio code, should it need one? Finally, if that doesn't help, you have either a wiring fault, or the LCM has an issue (Lighting Control Module)

Thank you. Will try bulbs again, it’s weird as they do come on when turned on just then go straight out. We have checked all other lights and everything ok it’s just the 2 rear lights. I’ll check hand book and maybe buy new bulbs and start from the beginning. Would there be a wiring fault if all other lights to the back work and the fact that they do illuminate and then go out? Thought a bulb change would be easy! It’s so frustrating!!

Would there be a wiring fault if all other lights to the back work and the fact that they do illuminate and then go out?

Yes, possibly. LCM does as instructed, puts lights on, then diagnoses a fault, so turns them back off.

Ok thank you, it’s weird as the driver rear was fine and working until the bulb was changed today……makes me think maybe the wrong bulb?! But will try what you suggested, thanks for your help!

Ok thank you, it’s weird as the driver rear was fine and working until the bulb was changed today……makes me think maybe the wrong bulb?! But will try what you suggested, thanks for your help!

I agree - wrong bulbs fitted, as the first thing to check as well as the simplest. Never assume Halfords know what they are doing. Might they have for instance fitted 15w indicator lamps, instead of 5w tail bulbs?

It might sound silly. But test the lights with ignition off and with engine running.

Also check the light switch is "on" and not on "auto".

Result, Halfords had fitted the wrong bulbs!!! I changed them both today and now all lights are working. Thanks for everyone’s help. Huge relief and saved a fortune taking it somewhere to get sorted. Note to self never let Halfords select and fit bulbs without checking first!

I agree - wrong bulbs fitted, as the first thing to check as well as the simplest. Never assume Halfords know what they are doing. Might they have for instance fitted 15w indicator lamps, instead of 5w tail bulbs?
Halfords had fitted the wrong bulbs I didn’t have the packet they binned it but I bought the correct ones today and fitted myself and everything is good and working. Thanks for the tips. Tell tale sign was when I struggled to remove one of the bulbs they’d fitted as clearly it was too big for the housing.

Hi hoping you may also be able to help us. Recently bought a KA for my sons first car and we are having the exact same issue with rear lights. Picked up new bulbs from Halfords today and just lighting up quickly then turning off. Can I please ask which bulbs you found to be the correct ones in the end? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Back