20cm2 Wall vent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a through the wall vent to serve an 8.3kw fire, but dont want to use a 70cm2 vent (the smallest draught buster i can find) as only 20cm2 is needed.

any ideas?

BTW - the vent is required as the Corgi reg'd engineer has disconnected the gas supply to a fire in my mates house due to lack of ventilation, and obviously wont reconnect until there is a hole in the wall.

Sponsored Links
What do the manufacturer's instructions say is required? The MIs are what you must follow.

Not sure but isnt it 5cm2 for every Kw over 7kw (net input)?

(meant cm not mm on original post).

bster said:
(meant cm not mm on original post).
Yes, I was thinking how ridiculously small a 20mm² hole would be!

Still, worth checking the MIs, especially on newer appliances. Is the 8.3 kW net or gross? If the requirement is for 20cm² then you could drill a line of small holes through a window frame or something. I don't think it has to be a proprietary ventilator.

Sponsored Links
maybe a floor vent ?? if the under floor is vented and radion is not a problem in the area .

Not possible - solid floors.

The main reason for a small vent is that they are worried about the draught - so if a 75cm2 draught buster is used will they feel any draught at all or just a reduced draught?

are combustion ventilators allowed to be positioned at high level to an outside wall from a room?

i was going to drill a 3" (or whatever size hole) and fix circular grills (soffit vents) but only if the measurements equated to more than the required free air of ...
8.35kw gross/ 1.1 = 7.6net minus 7kw = 0.6kw X 5cm2 = 5cm2

(but I said 20cm2 as i beleive its safer to over specify, this will make up for any **** that may get stuck in\on it etc..)

What fire is it bster?, generally manufacturers keep their fires to 7kw to prevent the problem unless its a dfe where you will almost certainly need 100cm2 whatever the input.

ollski - I'll check tommorow - its around 7 years+ old and its an LFE inset 8.35kw gross heat input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back