22mm Chipboard flooring - Anyone know weightbearing ability?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok guys.
Ive recently built up a smallish workshop/shed from a 'Waltons' kit and as the floor was so atrocious I made my own.

9ft by6ft
4x2 timber bearers at about 15" centres, with noggins every 3 feet or less!

Im using 22mm tongue and groove chipboard flooring as opposed to 18mm and the reasoning behind the overkill noggins and joist spacing is that its going to have a fair bit of weight on the floor.

An engine on a stand weighing 250kg, and in another corner an engine hoist weighing 18 stone. Plus workbench, tools etc

Provided of course the floor stays dry (There is a DPC and felt wrap under the base and its dry as a bone currently) will it take the weight or do I need to add a covering of 18mm external ply for good measure :?:

thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to work out the point loadings, the stand/hoist probably has 4 small contact areas which could punch through the chipboard. Would have been better with flooring grade plywood.

Jason

You need to work out the point loadings, the stand/hoist probably has 4 small contact areas which could punch through the chipboard. Would have been better with flooring grade plywood.

Jason

Thanks for the input..

With hindsight I think I should have gone for flooring grade ply :confused:
I did think about it at the time but I was trying to keep the cost of the shed in line with still being a shed rather than a small house and hence went for the chipboard.

The stand does indeed have 4 wheel/castors.
but then so does a piano and Im pretty sure some people put them in modern house rooms with chipboard flooring...

I hope so anyway :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Would have been better with flooring grade plywood.

Or scaffold planks. Very cheap, very tough, and can survive the occasional wetting.

Good point Oilman ;)
Although I dont know anywhere to buy scaffold planks??!

ive gone out and bought some 10mm external ply and am going to screw that on top for reinforcement.
Not exactly cheap though :confused:

Ring a few scaffolding firms, some may let you have boards as long as they are comfortable they will only be used for a shed floor. They'll be a few £s for a 12' length. Keep the plywood for some cupboards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back