230V/240V Question

Sponsored Links
That depends whether you view mathematics as a tool to help our understanding of the real world, or as a branch of theoretical philosophy.
I have to remind you again that it was you who questioned my understanding of the Statistics, which is a mathematical discipline.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
No, because if the frequency were not mentioned, the voltage tolerance could not be measured precisely and repeatably.
I'm afraid that I don't understand.
Neither do I. I have equipment here which can accurately measure AC voltage from a few Hz up into the GHz range. What's so difficult about measuring voltage a little way either side of 50Hz?

No, the digital value underneath.

It's higher now.

upload_2016-1-6_17-10-14.png

No, the digital value underneath. It's higher now.
I'm a bit lost. The previous one you posted did have a digital value displayed as "50.000", but you commented about it that it was 'not spot on 50.000" - what did you mean by that?

Kind Regards, John

No, the digital value underneath. It's higher now.
I'm a bit lost. The previous one you posted did have a digital value displayed as "50.000", but you commented about it that it was 'not spot on 50.000" - what did you mean by that?
No, I said it wasn't (spot on) just now.

Just now in the English and correct sense; not the Scottish one.

I'm afraid that I don't understand.
Neither do I. I have equipment here which can accurately measure AC voltage from a few Hz up into the GHz range. What's so difficult about measuring voltage a little way either side of 50Hz?
Quite - and even what you say is only in relation to the practical capabilities of measuring equipment. Conceptually, voltage can be measured regardless of any considerations of frequency, and vices versa.

In any event, for goodness sake, we're only talking about a permitted frequency range of 49.5 - 50.5 Hz. To suggest that one cannot measure voltage 'consistently', and to a high degree of accuracy, across that range of frequencies seems rather extraordinary.

Kind Regards, John

That's quite possibly the explanation but the result is that, in terms of "what it actually says" (a well-known phrase around here!), it defines permissible voltage variation only AT nominal frequency. Even if one forgets the "mathematical pedanticism" and interprets that "at nominal frequency" as meaning "at frequencies incredibly close to nominal", that still leaves permitted voltage variation undefined for the rest of the ±1% permitted variation in frequency.
Certainly, taking the legislation in terms of "what it actually says," it appears to be saying just that. If the frequency is precisely 50Hz then the specified voltage limits apply, but if it's 49.999999 or 50.000001Hz the voltage can be almost anything? Obviously that would be nonsense.

Perhaps "declared frequency" in that clause was intended to mean the frequency inclusive of its permissive range from 49.5 to 50.5Hz, so that as long as the frequency is within limits, the voltage limits apply? That would make slightly more sense, but the clause would still seem superfluous, since if the frequency was out of limits the supply would be failing to meet the required specification anyway, whether or not the voltage was out of limits as well.

Certainly, taking the legislation in terms of "what it actually says," it appears to be saying just that. If the frequency is precisely 50Hz then the specified voltage limits apply, but if it's 49.999999 or 50.000001Hz the voltage can be almost anything? Obviously that would be nonsense.
Quite.
Perhaps "declared frequency" in that clause was intended to mean the frequency inclusive of its permissive range from 49.5 to 50.5Hz, so that as long as the frequency is within limits, the voltage limits apply? That would make slightly more sense, ...
It would - but if that's what they intended, they should have written it!
... but the clause would still seem superfluous, since if the frequency was out of limits the supply would be failing to meet the required specification anyway, whether or not the voltage was out of limits as well.
Indeed - and, in any event, one still would not, strictly speaking, know whether or not it was outside of voltage (as well as frequency) limits, since there would be no voltage limits defined for that situation.

Kind Regards, John

No, I said it wasn't (spot on) just now. Just now in the English and correct sense; not the Scottish one.
Sorry, I remain lost!
You were talking about the unlikely occurrence of the frequency being spot on 50.
Whilst only to three decimal places, at that time the frequency was 50.000.
However, I pointed out that, as you were saying, it wasn't just now.

'Just now' in England means 'a moment ago'.
In Scotland it means 'at the moment'.

You were talking about the unlikely occurrence of the frequency being spot on 50. Whilst only to three decimal places, at that time the frequency was 50.000. However, I pointed out that, as you were saying, it wasn't just now. 'Just now' in England means 'a moment ago'. In Scotland it means 'at the moment'.
Hmmm - I see! The OED appears to given definitions of both "at this moment" (the "no. 1" definition) and " a little time ago", without any references to Scotland.

Whatever, as I'm sure you understand, my point was that even if the display always read 50.000 (i.e. to 3 dp) that would not mean that the 'true value' (to an unlimited number of dp) was necessarily ever "exactly 50". In fact, theoretically speaking, it 'never' would be!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back