230V/240V Question

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thank you PBC. How would you ensure repeatable measurements if the pressure were not specified?

The OED appears to given definitions of both "at this moment" (the "no. 1" definition) and " a little time ago", without any references to Scotland.
Do you think they are correct?
I really don't know. It's not an expression I personally use, or often hear - other than from Scottish people in which case it seems to have the 'Scottish' meaning you have indicated.

Kind Regards, John

Thank you PBC. How would you ensure repeatable measurements if the pressure were not specified?
This really has nothing to do with what we are discussing. By asking about the boiling point of water you are talking about something which is dependent on something else (pressure). The AC potential difference measured between two points (such as the two conductors of a supply) is in no way dependent on the frequency of that voltage - so it can be measured as accurately and 'repeatably' as one's equipment allows without any knowledge of, or reference to, the frequency - even if that frequency is varying.

Kind Regards, John

Repeatable in what sense? The water will boil at some specific temperature whatever the pressure, even though that temperature will vary with pressure. The fact that the pressure has altered doesn't affect the accuracy of the temperature measurement taken, it's just that the water is boiling at a different temperature.

In the same way, while a badly bogged down network which results in a severe drop in supply frequency might well also have the consequences of below-normal voltages, the change in frequency doesn't affect the accuracy with which those voltages may be determined.

...but the pressure varies even at sea-level.
It does, but "Standard Atmospheric Pressure" (indeed, also "Standard Temperature and Pressure", STP) is defined, and does not vary. However, as I've just written the boiling point of water is totally non-analogous with electricity supply voltage measurements.

Kind Regards, John

...but the pressure varies even at sea-level.
It does, but "Standard Atmospheric Pressure" (indeed, also "Standard Temperature and Pressure", STP) is defined, and does not vary. However, as I've just written the boiling point of water is totally non-analogous with electricity supply voltage measurements.
So PBC was wrong, then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back