2330 Help Anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello anyone. Hope someone can help please. I want to train to become an electrician of sorts. Need 2330 first then 2391 i've been told. just to get started. can you self teach 2330 as it costs 3700 to take the thing. thanks. :)

Sponsored Links
Some really good learners may be able to self teach but where I am the way to do it is to do multi courses and if these total 16 hours a week then you are considered full time and fee is £10.
Much depends on your college and your back-ground. By going personal to the college and explaining how I already worked as an electrician even without the 2330 they let me take the 2381, The PAT testing ones don't remember number and 2391. But now prices have increases the 2381 was £84 but the 2382 was £275 seems the prices in last 7 years have increased by nearly 400% another stealth tax.

Sponsored Links
Sorry been abit vague. I'm an old boy of 34 in the world of re-training and now need to fit it round a job. cheers

My son went direct and did same as me with the three 12, 6, 12 week 3 hour night class courses and passed them all but the lecture had to bend the rules to let him. Problem is the colleges have a league table to show how good they are and failures do them a lot of harm so they are a lot more picky on who they will allow to go on courses. The private training establishment don't seem to mind if you fail and will take anyone on the course.
The mature student can often be successful on courses which the younger guys will fail because they will put in so much home study as well.
If you can do home study i.e. no kids running around and a wife who is not continually calling you it is possible you can do as me and my son did but if you intend to do everything in the college and do very little at home then no chance.
I had been an electrician for may years when I took my 2391 originally trained as an auto electrician so my qualifications did not really relate to the rules and regulations working with 415 volt as it was then. So really this was to me a formal qualification to show I could do what I had been doing for years.
I also looked at doing the 2330 and the college lecture allowed me to sit in on the class for a day. To me it was so simplistic as to be silly to bother with so I did a degree in electronic and electrical engineering. But I will warn that the degree work will not help you at all to be an electrician it is more on design of items than fitting pre-manufactured items. I was also very interested in PLC's and it was very good teaching that and more industry based and nothing as far as house bashing goes.
If you were a fitter, plumber, or other allied trade then you may be able to skip 2330 but if you are starting from scratch then it is best route.
But I was in a class of young lads that didn't even realise gold was a conductor. And I felt sorry for the lecture trying to teach these lads how had no real interest and were going to college because their firm told them to. And the college was also lacking to my mind. You go to college and learn the correct way. Then as an apprentice you also learn short cut. But the college was teaching short cut as correct way. And the tray work they were doing I would have been laughed off site with.
It was same in a way with 2382 I can read a book myself I had already passed the 2381 after all to be able to do short course and to sit there while the lecturer read the book at a charge of £175 seemed a bit OTT but it was only way I could sit exam. I had to take course. But 3 hours one night for 6 weeks I could stand but 9 hours for 35 weeks one day a week way more than I could stand for a guy with less experience of me in industry to try to tell me how to do my job.
Do remember I had already studied for HNC but had not passed when I was young lad of 21 and just married. Plus fully qualified in auto electrics and motor vehicle technician. And Ohm's law has not changed. My son as I am was as radio ham and passed full exam at age of 14. My Dad was an engineer and was in charge of a power station and father-in-law project director for electrical works with large hospital board. So you could say it was in my blood. All the way back in my family tree were engineers one who designed and built the first screw collier.
Which is why back-ground is so important. When I had problems I always had someone to ask. And I still get phone calls from my son have you ever worked on this! It goes a long way.

2330 is the course you will need to take.

It comes in two parts, level 2 and level 3

You can study full time or part time. I did one day a week, so level 2 took two years and level 3 one year.
Level 2 cost £500 a year, and level 3 £1100

During that time you will hopefully be taken on by a firm so you can gain practical experience.

Once with a firm you can take the Electrical NVQ level 3, which is required should you want to get JIB grading.

The 2382 17th edition course/exam will need to be taken. You can just sit the exam, if you want to which is what I did.
You could do this whilst taking the 2330

Once you have been working in the trade for a few years and have a good knowledge of electrical systems you could take the 2391 exam, which will give you the qualification to inspect and test.

After a few years you may feel you want to go it alone so you need to register with a scheme such as Napit or NIC EIC so you can certificate your own work. They all have there own entry requirements and charges.

i am currently doing the 2330. I have also done the 2382 and am starting the NVQ 3 in a few weeks. you can do the NVQ alongside the 2330 as its mainly work based but that in itself can be a problem. If you want JIB approval you need to take the AM2 test (think thats right) which is a 3 day practical exam at a dedicated test centre for it.

George

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back