Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys!

Good news is i passed 17th edition update no worries (1question wrong). Doing the 2391 in 2weeks so trying to prepare myself. I've been reading gn3. Can anyone give me some tips on what to look out for on this exam? anyone have some exam papers that would help and show me what sort of questions to expect, also showing the structure of the exam.

Really want to pass this and im trying my hardest but would really like advice.

carlos

Sponsored Links
The national pass rate for the 2391-301 October 2009 examination is as follows:
Exam date
Pass rate
Fail rate
October 2009
53%
47%
Past examination series
Exam date
Pass rate
Fail rate
August 2009
40%
60%
July 2009
43%
57%
June 2009
42%
58%

Noooo, im doomed

is it getting easier? I seem to recall it was about a 34% pass rate when i did it.

Make sure you use the correct terminology. I know it sounds fussy/pedantic, but they are keen to see that you can at least correctly refer to the parts you work with.. ( e.g. schedule of test results, not test result schedule etc)

I also think drawing and describing about 8 or 9 elements in the earth fault path is a regular question.

IMO 2382 is only about being able to read a book and find information contained within. 2391 is about having the knowledge in your head, so read gn3, read it again. then when you have finished that, read it backwards :)

Go and get some old exam papers. Google "2391 past papers"

And practise, practise.
Ask here if you have any questions.

Don't forget you also have a practical to get through too. How mauch actual Test and inspection have you done?
Can you fill in an EIC properly?

Sponsored Links
If you're not used to writing for 2 1/2 hours your hands will be aching by the end of it!

A general exam tip is to work out how much time you have per question and stick to it. If you've not finished answering the question at the end of the allotted time STOP, leave a big space so you can come back if you have time and move onto the next question.

It's very easy to leave yourself short of time and not answer all the questions - don't forget it's easier to pick up 'early' marks in a question than trying to squeeze the last mark or two by elaborating on one you've already pretty much answered.

Quite a few people got caught out by this in my exam....

Good luck
SB

Something else to do with all exams is to read through the paper before writing anything.
That way you can identify easier questions with large numbers of marks which you can answer quickly, and difficult ones with only a few marks.

It is not usually necessary or desirable to answer the questions in the order they are printed.

If you don't read through it first, you can waste huge amounts of time on a difficult question which only gets you a few marks, then turn the page only to find a very easy question which you can't fully answer due to lack of time.

Thanks very much for your advice. I have had 8 years experience on site.
don't have any trouble filling out the forms or testing/fault finding.

Just concerned about the theory!! Been a few years now since i sat the 2360!

I swear my mrs knows more about testing and inspection than i do with the amount of crap i talk to her about haha....

Thanks again for all of your help and guidance!

Tips?

Practical - If you want to cheat there are plenty of centres which will milk you through the practical. This fact is well known to C & G, but as yet no action appears to have been taken. If you go to a centre where the practical element is actually assessed properly, then you'd best be well up to speed.

Exact terminology - this is not so much pedantry as the fact that these exams are externally marked. Using terms such as 'main earth', earth bonding', cross bonding', 'ring main', 'Electricity at Work Act' and so on, will result in loss of marks - how does the marker know you actually understand, as opposed to you simply having enough words to bluff your way through?

As Sparkybird has intimated (but been too kind to be blunt) this is not an exam electricians are very well prepared for. Many fail through simple illiteracy and innumeracy.

I sit every single 2391 exam [one day I'll pass!] and I can tell you that there is a formula; it's called the syllabus. ;) I could give you the answers now to gain a pass mark in Section A for the exam in two week's time without even knowing the questions, because, whilst I don't yet know the questions, I do know what the answers will be. That's how predictable it is.

(No. That would be cheating!)

The problems largely lie in the preparedness of candidates and their ability to understand what is being asked.

Get a copy of 'Exam Success Inspection and Testing 2391-10' and study it thoroughly alongside GN3 and pages 73-93 of the OSG. http://www.electricaltraining.co.uk/products/books.htm

You should practice describing every test procedure, step by step (use bullet points rather than sentences and simple diagrams wherever possible).
Calculations - these are bankers:
1. You should be able to calculate the overall insulation resistance of circuits measured in parallel.
2. You should be able to work out the resistances of any circuits given size and length of conductors.
3. Given a length of a ring final circuit you should be able to work out the expected values at each stage of the test.
4. You should be able to describe how and demonstrate by calculation how to verify that a circuit meets the earth fault loop impedance requirements.

All of these are [should be] things that a competent electrician does every day, yet a majority fail the exam because they cannot do it. Don't be one of them. :D

When I did mine, there was a lot of emphasis on the "rule of thumb" for EFLI and what you might need to do if your measurement/calculation shows that you've missed the EFLI target impedance.

Remember the tables in the regs are the absolute figures. The ones you use (eg the tables in the OSG) are the adjusted ones.

You can almost guarentee there will be a question about the status in law of the inspector and you will also need to draw an earth fault loop path for either a TT, TN-S or TN-CS type system.

Thankyou very much for your replies.

Dingbat.. i've been reading GN3 and im making notes... however i'm either really tired or stupid but... im making notes for each test in bullet points. where the hell do i find this in GN3 all i see is paragraphs?

perhaps i am being silly... just so tired.

Thanks everyone for help! I'm very grateful for everyones contribution.

carlos

Dingbat.. i've been reading GN3 and im making notes... however i'm either really tired or stupid but... im making notes for each test in bullet points. where the hell do i find this in GN3 all i see is paragraphs?

I'm suggesting you answer the questions in bullet points, rather than try and write sentences and paragraphs. This is for several reasons:
1. It's easier
2. It's easier
3. It's easier
4. The examiner is more likely to be able to understand your answer.
5. You can more easily amend a bulleted list than a paragraph of text...
and
6. It's easier. :D

Thankyou very much for your replies.

perhaps i am being silly... just so tired.

Thanks everyone for help! I'm very grateful for everyones contribution.

carlos

the book exam success that dingbat recommended explains this.
there are also two practice exams.
goodluck

7. It shows that you've actually grasped the fundamentals, not just memorised text.

Just wanted you guys to know i passed the 2391! Also im very grateful for all the revision tips and pointers from everyone-made a massive difference.

Thanks again,

Carlos

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back