Sponsored Links
You need to confirm if the work does actually come under the PW Act - putting beams into the party wall will require a notice, but just building a dormer near to the party wall may not.

If a PW notice should have been served for the dormer work, and this would have allowed some guarantee and extra precautions in terms of weather proofing the area to minimise/remove the chances of probelms at the boundary.

If the work (dormer construction) does invoke the PW Act, then you can still go for an injunction to stop the work.

On the bright side, by building close to your dormer, this will add some protection and reduce the effects of weathering, and so maintenance may not be required - as long as no painting is required

Difficult one.
In a way you have answered your own question, they have a right to build up to the boundry just as you did, and if you believe they should leave a suitable gap for acces then surely you should have left at least half of this gap between your dormer and the boundary.
If I had been doing this conversion I would have suggested removing the covering from your dormer cheek and infilling the space between and then tying in the back of the dormer and the roof with yours.

Both ways obviously have their own problems, if they tie into your extension and the roof fails it would be up to you to prove that their work was substandard.
If they keep it sperate then you both have a future maintenance issue, but neither of you would really have a responsibilty to the other.
It is possible but tricky for them to finish the outside of their dormer from the inside.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Chappers. With hindsight would not have gone up to the boundary with my own loft and would have probably suggested to my neighbours to 'butt up' but too late now.

What would you say is the best way forward? My objectives are;

To ensure my roof and dormer remain watertight and secure including the small strip along the boundary which i cannot see

Make sure that the value of my property is not affected in case I sell

Not fall out with my neighbours or be a pain as having a loft conversion is stressful enough.

Am I right in thinking that the best option is to just let their builders get on with it and trust they do a good job?

What would need to go in the small gap in between the dormers - flashing?

Also what would the situation be in the future if a leak occured in that area?

You tell me Sully, how the **** does deleting your original post help people visiting this site, who might have the same question as you? The whole point of these fora is to create a bank of information, which is searchable.

Similarly, how the hell does it help people who are still trying to help you? Your last post has questions in it, but without seeing the original post, I cannot help!

FAIL.

Original post:

We live in a mid terrace house and had a loft conversion with a full dormer 4 years ago. Our neighbours on one side are now doing a loft conversion and have built their dormer so close that we will never be able to maintain the tiles on the side of our loft or have access to the small amount of roof in between as it is only about 15cm wide?! Is this right?

The company that did ours built as close to the boundary as possible and although I realise that it is only fair that our neighbours can do the same, surely the gap should be wide enough for repairs to be carried out on both dormers if necessary?

Before work started we asked them whether they were planning to 'butt up' as this would invalidate the guarantee we have with the loft company that did ours. But they told us that they weren't and there would be a gap like the neighbours opposite. The roof on their dormer is also higher than ours and completely seperate so that isn't an option anyway.

We have spoken to their builders today and them but have not really been given an answer. 'Lets see how it goes' is all they have to say. When we asked about how they were planning to felt and tile their dormer with such a small gap they replied from the inside! Is this normal or even possible?

Am feeling really nervous now as they have now taken ALL the tiles off the front of the house this morning even though out the back all they have bulit is the dormer frame (no sides or front) and felted the roof.
Doesn't seem right. When my husband mentioned about a party wall agreement like the one we did with them when we did ours, the builder said it isn't needed and our neighbour said 'I thought we were friends'.

Are we worrying over nothing? Have always got on well with our neighbours and don't want that to change but something doesn't seem right. The builders have no name on their van and don't speak english so am worried we will have no chance of contacting them in the future.

Am also wondering that if we sell in the future having a dormer that cannot be maintained on one side may affect the value of my property?

Any advice would be really appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back