Porch too high

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We recently got a porch built. We didn't apply for planning permission because it was supposed to be small. The builders finished last week and I just measured its height and it's more than 3 m (3.40m). When we got the plans originally, the porch was planned to be about 3.50 m high, so we told them that we needed it to be below 3m because we did not want to go through the planning permission process. They told us that they will make sure it's no more than 3m, and we also reminded them several times throughout the building process.
The question is: what do we do now? Can we apply for building regularisation? Or should we insist they rectify the problem? We like the porch, and we waited a very long time til they got around to doing the work, so I'd hate to see it knocked down. But I also don't want to run into issues when we try to sell the house in the future. Any suggestions?
thanks!
jul

Sponsored Links
Photo's will help you get better advice but depends on the Regs in your area and whether it states 3m to the eaves with x degree pitch which may be ok as the highest point will be higher but you need to clarify with the Council.

Hi Dazb,
Building regs here state that the highest point of the porch must not exceed 3.00 m, which is the case unfortunately. Thanks!

You seem to be getting permitted development and Building Regs confused, they are separate entities, it is planning that restricts you in height. Under no circumstances contact the council. You'll either have to get the builders to build it as they were contracted or hope the planners don't notice and decide to do anything about it, they have four years with which to call you out on it before you're in the clear. Does it comply with the other permitted development criteria? As for Building Regs have you left the existing front door in place?

Sponsored Links
Hi,
We recently got a porch built. We didn't apply for planning permission because it was supposed to be small. The builders finished last week and I just measured its height and it's more than 3 m (3.40m). When we got the plans originally, the porch was planned to be about 3.50 m high, so we told them that we needed it to be below 3m because we did not want to go through the planning permission process. They told us that they will make sure it's no more than 3m, and we also reminded them several times throughout the building process.
The question is: what do we do now? Can we apply for building regularisation? Or should we insist they rectify the problem? We like the porch, and we waited a very long time til they got around to doing the work, so I'd hate to see it knocked down. But I also don't want to run into issues when we try to sell the house in the future. Any suggestions?
thanks!
jul
Is it over 3 metres from the highest adjacent ground level?

I presume it’s less than 3sq metres

You seem to be getting permitted development and Building Regs confused, they are separate entities, it is planning that restricts you in height. Under no circumstances contact the council. You'll either have to get the builders to build it as they were contracted or hope the planners don't notice and decide to do anything about it, they have four years with which to call you out on it before you're in the clear. Does it comply with the other permitted development criteria? As for Building Regs have you left the existing front door in place?
Hi, thank you! Yes, it complies with the criteria in every other aspect, e.g. front door to the house is left in place, total area is less than 3 sqm.
Okay, so we basically hope that no one complains about it in the next four years? But what do we do when we sell it? A building survey will clearly show that it would have needed a planning permission.
Thanks!

Is it over 3 metres from the highest adjacent ground level?

I presume it’s less than 3sq metres
Yes, more than 3 m from the highest adjacent ground level, but total area is only 2.6 m2.

No buyer would ever complain to have a porch if the time limit for regularisation has elapsed.
Once a customer was selling his house and tried to regolarise an extension built 10 years before under permitted development but not compliant with planning permission.
The council replied that they weren't interested in anything older than 6 years.
He sold the house without any questions asked.

No buyer would ever complain to have a porch if the time limit for regularisation has elapsed.
Once a customer was selling his house and tried to regolarise an extension built 10 years before under permitted development but not compliant with planning permission.
The council replied that they weren't interested in anything older than 6 years.
He sold the house without any questions asked.
Yeah I agree.

Would a surveyor even bother getting his tape out and checking

dont know the first thing about porches as such
but my thoughts
if the porch covers multiple steps does the highest step not form part off the height equation ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back